Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Suction Pressure and How it varies from Pumps to Pumps
Topics: Suction Pressure and How it varies from Pumps to Pumps on General Discussion
Start by
Raj Mohan
02-25-2014 04:07 AM

Suction Pressure and How it varies from Pumps to Pumps

Can Somebody please explain me few things about Suction Pressure and How it varies from Pumps to Pumps (Does it really varies???). What is the exact suction pressure/value for centrifugal pumps
02-25-2014 06:42 AM
Top #2
Laura Sligh
02-25-2014 06:42 AM
Hi Raj, check out PumpScout's "Pump Type Guide" (http://www.pumpscout.com/articles-scout-guide/pump-types-guide-aid100.html). It lists 24 Centrifugal Pump Types (and 13 Positive Displacement Pump Types) with descriptions, fluid types, best uses, flow rates and pressures showing the difference between each. Hope you find it helpful!
02-25-2014 08:47 AM
Top #3
Simon Bradshaw
02-25-2014 08:47 AM
It is quite simple:

If your suction pressure is too low, your pump won't pump :(

If your suction pressure is too high your pump will explode :\

Seriously. I'd recommend reading Laura's guide and then Google to learn basic concepts like this since you really need them to be effective in any role supporting the sale of pumps.

Good luck
02-25-2014 11:42 AM
Top #4
Raj Mohan
02-25-2014 11:42 AM
Thank you Laura, the link was very useful and gave new ideas and doubts. And Thanks to you to Mr.Simon,,,,
02-25-2014 02:37 PM
Top #5
Greg Beebe
02-25-2014 02:37 PM
I agree with the above comments.

Here are a couple good generalizations about suction pressure.
-Remain within the recommended values as offered by the pump manufacturer
-be very careful with mechanical seals and in some cases bearings, as they are often the reason for the max suction pressure of a pump. casings can always be manufactured to meet a pressure rating. With some pumps such as ANSI or API different seals can be used. Simply changing the mechanical seal style can (in some cases) change the max suction pressure of a pump.
-Suction pressure can often be used to artificially increase the NPSHa of an application so that a pump operates properly where it may not otherwise. NPSH calculations are required first to determine if suction pressure is desireable.
Reply to Thread