Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Wireless technology at Nuclear plant
Topics: Wireless technology at Nuclear plant on General Discussion
Start by
Satyajeet Darak
10-23-2013 06:10 AM

Wireless technology at Nuclear plant

How can a dosimeter data can be captured by using wireless technology with low noise (or noiseless) at any Nuclear plant? This wireless technology needs to transfer data on a real time basis at high speed. The wireless technology should communicate even if the receiver is not in line of sight.

Is there any wireless technology which is noiseless or communicates on low noise with highly reliable for hazardous location?
10-23-2013 08:48 AM
Top #2
William Geoghegan
10-23-2013 08:48 AM
Can you divulge the noise limitations a bit more? There are plenty of methods by which you can network your dosimeter. WiFi, bluetooth or cellular broadband could be options depending on noise limitations (spectrum) and budget. What is the data size/rate? What platform are you using to capture/historize the data? That can also determine which method could be best, as some platforms are more easily integrated.
10-23-2013 11:10 AM
Top #3
Satyajeet Darak
10-23-2013 11:10 AM
The data is captured on real time basis in the dosimeter reader. This data from varied dosimeter reader needs wireless connectivity (noiseless) to a central repository. This reader and central hub connection is highly human accessible area which creates vibration and noise.

High bandwidth is needed, as relatively large amount of data needs to be send over the wireless link. Not yet finalized on the platform.

As you suggested, I understand that 802.11 (Wi-Fi) is highly used in industrial applications for monitoring. Bluetooth technology might not be the solution as its range is limited. Can you help me understand how can this connection be made with low noise? And do suggest any other wireless technology which is at par with Wi-Fi.
10-23-2013 02:02 PM
Top #4
William Geoghegan
10-23-2013 02:02 PM
Let's be clear, are we talking about radio noise or human noise?

As far as radio noise, unless there is an interference issue, radio noise should not be an issue. Interference with instrumentation currently in can be overcome with a little more detail about those instruments.

In addition to WiFi, ultra wide band (UWB) could be the proper method. check here for some basic details. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_wide_band

When you are ready to discuss making a project out of this, contact me directly at my linked in page.

Thanks.
10-23-2013 04:49 PM
Top #5
Satyajeet Darak
10-23-2013 04:49 PM
Thanks William for your inputs.
Reply to Thread