Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Cost Effective Robots
Topics: Cost Effective Robots on General Discussion
Start by
Faisal Mirza
09-30-2013 02:06 PM

Cost Effective Robots

Hello everyone. We are looking for low cost robots to replace manual pick / place applications in the Pharmaceutical industry. In some applications, the speeds can reach 200 parts per minute while in others, the speeds are below 100 ppm. Since this is a developing country, lower costs are mandatory for entry level automation. In the same lines, if ready made robots are still too expensive, is there some research / information relative to the development of robots for basic applications as described above? Any help / suggestions / links / pointers shall be highly appreciated.
09-30-2013 04:30 PM
Top #2
Raul Romero
09-30-2013 04:30 PM
Check mitsubishi robots, they offer price competitive options and we have integrated a few on similar applications.
09-30-2013 06:47 PM
Top #3
Michael Rambusch
09-30-2013 06:47 PM
You can also look at Festo corporation. We have several pre-engineered handling systems that can be operated pneumatically or with servos. We offer custom engineered systems as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an e-mail at michael.rambusch@us.festo.com.
09-30-2013 08:52 PM
Top #4
Corey Shebesta
09-30-2013 08:52 PM
please define "low cost". Do you have additional information like the mass of the part?
09-30-2013 11:16 PM
Top #5
Faisal Mirza
09-30-2013 11:16 PM
Dear Corey,
I will elaborate the requirements as follows:

We have a need for a small, affordable robot for moving light items from a tray to a moving conveyor. This unit will be used in a light manufacturing environment (Pharmaceuticals). Basic functional requirements of the unit are as follows:

- Approximate Weight of conveyed piece: 100g

- Maximum length of lateral transit(x and y axis): 12 inches

- Maximum height needed for conveyance: 5 inches

- End Effector can have a suction cup for picking items or even a mechanical gripper can also work.

- The system needs to be easily user programmable to define pick and place locations.

- The pick will be triggered by an external photo sensor providing a +24V DC signal input.

- Degree of placement lateral placement accuracy is roughly 0.01 inches

Nice to have capabilities:

- Rotational function of end effector (Accuracy 1)

- Interface with vision system for product orientation

- Cycle time: 1.5 seconds or better

- Parts and components easy to repair or replace.

We belong to a developing country where every penny counts. Thus, costs play a crucial role in decision making. However, once the proof of concept is delivered, things get better.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Faisal Mirza.
10-01-2013 01:19 AM
Top #6
Corey Shebesta
10-01-2013 01:19 AM
Hi Faisal,

You have about one million options that will all work. I would use Festo because I am a distributor for them and they ave representation all over the world.
Based on the information given, including your nice to have capabilities, it could be 30 to 40 thousand dollars US.

Really what you need to do is get your local representative in to look at the application.

If that is not within your budget, look at buying a used SCARA robot, there are plenty out there. Then when you have proven the operation and can have a budget for a new reliable system you can upgrade.

Best of luck.
Reply to Thread