Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Which brand do you install in a control system?
Topics: Which brand do you install in a control system? on General Discussion
Start by
Amy Stabell
03-25-2014 05:23 AM

Which brand do you install in a control system?

I'm installing a controls system for our company, and I want to know people's opinions/reviews of different brands. I'm used to Allen Bradley. Anyone use Siemens? Any other companies I should look at?
03-25-2014 07:34 AM
Top #2
Chris Dill-Russell
03-25-2014 07:34 AM
Hi Amy,

Are you talking PLCs? I have used Allen Bradley and Siemens and found them both very good. Others are available of course, as are other control systems (e.g. DCS). Decision can depend on many things including I/O count, budget, complexity of the process to be controlled (number of loops etc.), operator interface(s) required, safety systems, whether you want to network controllers together.

For smaller systems with low IO count Mitsubishi PLCs used to have a very good reputation at a good price.

Are you planning to procure this, set it up, configure etc. yourself or use a systems house? If using a system house you can always ask their opinions too.

Good luck!
03-25-2014 10:22 AM
Top #3
Josef Stadelmann
03-25-2014 10:22 AM
Yes, Chris, very proper answer. Would sign that immediatly. Before we know your requirements of the system you have in your mind it is difficult to answer even yourself this question. So how many pupms, valves, mixers, counters, temperatur and preasure sensores, motors, . . . how much ready usefull equipment demanding supervision control via an IO bus standard will your system have. How do you interface your sub systems or your equipment. Any part of the system migth be able to react in what is sometimes called real time. Any such parts. How many events about will your system have to handle. I know about systems controllers which run out of interrup ports. Getting that late on a build/development is ver bad. Also again do it or make it or a mix form sets different focus.
03-25-2014 12:53 PM
Top #4
mohamed ismail
03-25-2014 12:53 PM
iam from egypt iam chemsit utility procee
03-25-2014 03:03 PM
Top #5
Ubaid Ali
03-25-2014 03:03 PM
yes, I'm using simens .If you are also thinking about it.So, it's very good.
03-25-2014 05:19 PM
Top #6
YOGESH JARIWALA
03-25-2014 05:19 PM
Hi would you be in position to give following info
IO : Input/output
PROCESS : Batch or contnious ?
Technology : Proven or to be estabilished
Reply to Thread