Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Soft starter » VLT's and soft starters
Topics: VLT's and soft starters on Soft starter
Start by
Jonathan Gill
09-27-2013 05:21 AM

VLT's and soft starters

I recently began repairing VLT's and soft starters and would appreciate any tips or advice, links etc. We are based in Uruguay S.A.Thank you
09-27-2013 07:45 AM
Top #2
Dean Boe
09-27-2013 07:45 AM
A few things come to mind. Good information from the customer about the circumstances of the failure and application history is always helpful. Mechanical parts are the weakest link to include fans or pumps for cooling, the customer keypad interface, contactors for pre-charge and bypass. Find a design for an SCR tester to give you the ability to determine SCR failures quickly. One thing to keep in mind when working with 3 phase power semiconductor circuits is the realization that you are troubleshooting the same similar circuit for each device so insure your troubleshooting method has a method. Intermittent problems are always the hardest to detect. In order to detect these it is best to have a storage oscilloscope and utilize the triggering on a circuit that will ID the event. Good grounding at clients site!
09-27-2013 10:09 AM
Top #3
Jonathan Gill
09-27-2013 10:09 AM
Thanks for that Dave. Do you have any suggestions for the SCR tester ? I ask because the other day I had a WEG SSW03 that had suffered from a brownout and the symptom was that the motor we use to test the starters would jump all over the place. I tested the SCR's and they seemed ok, So I connected three fans to simulte a three phase motor and could see that one worked fine and the other two were intermittent. I concluded I had two dud SCR's that didn't fail on a simple test.

When the spares arrived I couldn't remember which were the faulty ones so I decided to replace them one by one. After I replaced the first one the starter funcioned perfectly !

Conclusion, I need a better method to test the SCR
09-27-2013 12:50 PM
Top #4
Dean Boe
09-27-2013 12:50 PM
Jonathan:

Here is a link to a simple SCR tester. Remember that Puck Type Devices must be forced clamped to administer the test, all others can be done without any clamps or pressure. http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/scr-tester
09-27-2013 03:15 PM
Top #5
Jonathan Gill
09-27-2013 03:15 PM
Thanks for that Dave. The circuit described is similar to the way I had tested the SCR's and they passed that test but failed under real conditions. I probalby need to use 220v and a 60w lamp ir something similar to give a more realistic test. What do you think ?
09-27-2013 05:59 PM
Top #6
Dean Boe
09-27-2013 05:59 PM
Additional Loading may help. Sounds like a gate failure. I have not noticed an increased voltage with that type of device giving me better results.
09-27-2013 08:28 PM
Top #7
Mark Empson
09-27-2013 08:28 PM
With soft starters, I use 3 x 300W lamps connected in star with the star point isolated instead of a motor. All lamps should ramp up to full brightness and full voltage.
This usually shows up firinging issues.
The most common problem is SCRs going short circuit and that can be easily found with a multimeter.
Next, I "megger" test the SCRs. If you know the starter, you know what the internal resistance is. If you disconnect the firing circuit, you measure the leakage of the SCRs alone. This would normally be above 0.5M ohms on a 500V test. If the resistance is less than 500K, or is fluctuating wildly, the SCRs are suspect.

Best reards,
Mark
09-27-2013 11:06 PM
Top #8
Jonathan Gill
09-27-2013 11:06 PM
Thanks Dave and Mark for your comments.

I had pretty much ruled out a PBC failure by swapping the connectors around. When I changed places, the fault shifted to a different fan, I agree, bulbs would be better.

Also I had measured the SCR on the highest meg range on my tester and there was nothing to suspect a short. This starter had been affected by a huge brownout so I suspected the SCR could have been affected in unusual ways.
09-28-2013 01:18 AM
Top #9
Rollen Flood
09-28-2013 01:18 AM
We are a Manufacturer of Soft Starters based in the UK and we are currently expanding in to South America - I would be happy to help you with any enquiries and potential sales oppurtunities. We can provide full technical training in our products should this be useful to you. Fairford Electronics Ltd, Devon UK. contact me at rollen.flood@fairford.com
Reply to Thread