Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Discriminating load tap change events in high sample rate voltage and reactive power trends?
Topics: Discriminating load tap change events in high sample rate voltage and reactive power trends? on General Discussion
Start by
Paul Haddick
09-18-2013 05:55 PM

Discriminating load tap change events in high sample rate voltage and reactive power trends?

I have some very high resolution data showing voltage on a D/Y 230kV to 13800 (nominal taps) as well as load, reactive power, etc. I show RMS voltage at the substation secondary moving between 13,440 (4 taps below nominal) and 13,890 (one tap above nominal) in the presence of gently varying load. Thing is I can't point to actual tap change events. What I think is that even though the voltage is varying (because of power flow), i don't think I have a single tap change event recorded. Does this sound about right?
09-18-2013 08:02 PM
Top #2
Raymond Lee
09-18-2013 08:02 PM
Can you post your high resolution data ?
09-18-2013 10:28 PM
Top #3
Paul Haddick
09-18-2013 10:28 PM
Wish I could. I don't think you can post pictures, unfortunately. However, if you installed my software (freely available) you could look at it. I had a buddy show me a verified tap change though in the last hour, it makes a clear RMS "instantaneous" voltage step on a millisecond time scale, with corresponding current change. And the voltage waveforms are notched for several cycles. So I think I know what to look for now, and the data I have doesn't have any of those, so I think it was just load changes forcing the voltage up and down through about 6 taps worth of voltage, even though the tap didn't change over the recorded duration.
Reply to Thread