Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Small three pump booster transmitted noise/vibration
Topics: Small three pump booster transmitted noise/vibration on General Discussion
Start by
Mark Bean
02-24-2014 08:05 AM

Small three pump booster transmitted noise/vibration

I'm installing a small three pump booster set on a floor directly above the CEO suite- very concerned about transmitted noise/ vibration- the skid comes with anti-vibration but I want to enhance this.
02-24-2014 10:10 AM
Top #2
Anis Hamdani Zuberi
02-24-2014 10:10 AM
Use Grundfos Vertical Multistage Pumps type CR. They are noiseless. Otherwise ask your CEO to change suite.
02-24-2014 12:57 PM
Top #3
sinnadurai sripadmanaban
02-24-2014 12:57 PM
For noise suppression use a sound proof enclosure. For vibration transmission ,in addition to isolators below skid,use flexible joints in pipes connecting suction & delivery
02-24-2014 03:53 PM
Top #4
Mark Bean
02-24-2014 03:53 PM
Thanks sinnadurai, I understand the principles, my inquiry was aimed at specific products.
Anis, we are indeed using Grundfos MPC-E3 CRIE-15-3, however this is the CEO of the second largest bank in Europe- I don't think he will take very kindly to a suggestion to move.
with regards
02-24-2014 06:11 PM
Top #5
Amnon Jablonsky
02-24-2014 06:11 PM
Dear Mark.
I have faced several times this application and I used vertical multistage water pumps
Type MXSU manufactured by Calpeda pumps Italy.
If you will check the pumps motor, you will not see any ventilating cooling fan.
Motor is completely capsule with a water cooling Jacket so the water flows around the motor.
As we experienced noise comes from vibrations and also from the motor fan.
Small pumps as you require will not do much vibrations so the suggestions you have got are quite sufficient, however motor fan do some noise that can't be eliminate but by eliminating the Fan itself, using this type of pumps .
I assume that Grundfos pump have the same Type of pumps and is my favored company too.
With this type of pumps I can assure you a successful installation.
Hope I have helped a little.
Good luck
Amnon Jablonsky – Israel
02-24-2014 09:08 PM
Top #6
Mark Bean
02-24-2014 09:08 PM
Hi Amnon, not heard of Calpeda but I will have a look thanks for the headsup. the client specified Grundfos on the project. It does seem perverse that so many CEO's have their offices right under the high level plant rooms. We are not allowed any works during the day, or up until 19:00hrs.
regards

Mark
02-24-2014 11:59 PM
Top #7
Neal Clevenger
02-24-2014 11:59 PM
Lots of solid input - the Grundfos pumps should serve you well. I will add that using grooved piping connections instead of thread/weld/flange will really help attenuate any noise and vibrations that might be generated. Without knowing details, can't give any details, but check out Victaulic 177 style couplings as a reference. http://static.victaulic.com/assets/uploads/literature/06.20.pdf
02-25-2014 02:26 AM
Top #8
Mark Bean
02-25-2014 02:26 AM
Thanks Neal. Unfortunately the CME has specified Shed 10 flanged stainless, PN40 B4 to level 24 then PN 16 to level 44- would have loved to have used Victaulic on this job but was refused. this site has a varied history- base build was copper (bi-metallic flanges) but the brazings kept failing. then some fool installed Aquatherm which kept bursting in the basement levels (more down to installation errors than product failure) so now we are installing SS. Did I mention this is for potable water?
We are installing flexies on the suction and discharge header so there will be very limited transmitted noise through the pipe installation. Trouble is, the CEOs personal assistant is a cast iron b*%tard and has stopped works in the past when a labourer dropped a broom on L44.
I remember installing Silent Block noise/ vibration pads under a Genset once but they don't seem to be available now. i am hoping Grundfos can come up with a solution
regards

Mark
02-25-2014 04:40 AM
Top #9
Sergio Zito
02-25-2014 04:40 AM
Does Grundfos has any submersible pump like Ebara's Idrogo type which you can simply install inside the water tank?

Maybe its difficult to get this approved, but will certainly make any chance of noise or vibrations ( even the pumps themselves) dissapear. Obviously an outside vfd control and small vessel will complete the system.

Just an idea, don't know accesibility to the top of the tank, maybe not possible at all.
02-25-2014 07:02 AM
Top #10
Mark Bean
02-25-2014 07:02 AM
Sergio, that is a very clever idea, great lateral thinking there. Unfortunately there are actually four separate tanks joined to a common down service. It could work with a few alterations. Thanks I will speak to the consultant.
02-25-2014 09:03 AM
Top #11
Sergio Zito
02-25-2014 09:03 AM
If four tanks are interconnected downstream, usually only one of them has the level switch that makes the call to the pumping at the basement. I would install my pumps in this tank, or just change the switch to the one that is more convenient for my pumps to be in. Just have a look at the size, they are quite small, You can use them horizontally too.
Reply to Thread