Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Looking for a means of measuring steam quality
Topics: Looking for a means of measuring steam quality on General Discussion
Start by
Christian Myles
03-26-2014 09:52 AM

Looking for a means of measuring steam quality

Aside from purchasing capital, I am curious if anyone has a more manual means of measuring steam quality--perhaps trying to isolate a mass flow of steam, then collecting the water and calculating the fraction that way from the original mass flow. Perhaps a temperature reading would also be appropriate, and back calculating enthalpy, etc. Our steam is said to be at 40 psi in the plant.
03-26-2014 12:44 PM
Top #2
Greg Kramer
03-26-2014 12:44 PM
Temperature and pressure give you steam saturation temperature and not its quality. Steam mass and condensate mass would be the way to go.
03-26-2014 03:03 PM
Top #3
florentino baguio
03-26-2014 03:03 PM
a manual means have been in practice at some university's thermodynamics laboratory where a perforated cylinder is used to separate saturated steam from entrained water
03-26-2014 06:01 PM
Top #4
Ben Geurts
03-26-2014 06:01 PM
Nice question Christian. But what is the question behind your question? Can you be more specific what you are looking for. E.g tell me about the origin of the steam is it pure steam from a boiler house or is it process steam which could contain chemicals ???
03-26-2014 08:08 PM
Top #5
Christian Myles
03-26-2014 08:08 PM
Thank you for the responses. My motivation was to find the heat carried by the steam in our plant. We are experimenting with a new process and wish to determine if steam addition will be beneficial beyond the anticipated moisture addition. Since water carries less energy than steam, this was of interest. My plan has been to model Dr. Chinn from University of Manchester and use a kettle as a barrel calorimeter and monitor mass and temperature changes of the kettle once steam is added to a mass of water.
03-26-2014 10:44 PM
Top #6
florentino baguio
03-26-2014 10:44 PM
I think your objective can be answered by thermodynamic /energy balance calculations.
03-27-2014 01:26 AM
Top #7
Tomislav Bosiljkov
03-27-2014 01:26 AM
The quality of steam refers to its moisture content. Dry, superheated steam is invisible to the naked eye. Very poor quality steam might have 10 wt% moisture. Secondly, quality of steam used depends on its application. Wet steam means poor perrmance and slow but certain deterioration of steam turbines, steam ejectors, steam strippers with low efficiency, steam/methane reforming catalyst tubes, FCU spent cat strippers...
The correct way to measure the moisture content of steam is by the use of the throttling calorimeter. But, for quick calculation in the field i suggest using isoenthalpic expansion and properties of steam from mollier diagram to estimate moisture content.
Reply to Thread