Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Solar Energy » how the mirrors of solar panels move, to stay in the direction of the sun?
Topics: how the mirrors of solar panels move, to stay in the direction of the sun? on Solar Energy
Start by
Deborah Amphlett
12-31-2013 11:36 PM

how the mirrors of solar panels move, to stay in the direction of the sun?

Hello Everyone, Does anyone know how the mirrors of solar panels move, to stay in the direction of the sun?……Do you have any ideas? Is an actuator used? What type of actuator?Thanks, Debbie :)
01-01-2014 01:44 AM
Top #2
Francesco Todaro
01-01-2014 01:44 AM
I got a solution: the tracker
http://solarpiu.eu/english/biassiale.html
It follows the walk of the sun.
more details frktodaro@yahoo.it
01-01-2014 04:22 AM
Top #3
Deborah Amphlett
01-01-2014 04:22 AM
Hi Francesco,
Thanks alot.....Do you know more about the Tilt actuators they use?
Debbie
01-01-2014 06:43 AM
Top #4
Muhammad Taher Khan
01-01-2014 06:43 AM
If you are talking about mirrors - i assume you referring to the heliostats of a CSP solar installation?. Typically, to remain perpendicularly aligned with the sun, a 2-axis tracking system would be installed which includes an elevation drive, azimuth drive, heliostat controller (to control the drives), and a power supply (could be grid-connected, solar-powered or some form of electricty storage).

The elevation drive is usually an electrical liner actuator consisting of a stepper motor, allowing rotation along the elevation axis. The azimuth drive can be a worm-geared stepper motor allowing rotation along azimuth axis.
01-01-2014 08:51 AM
Top #5
Robert Wilson
01-01-2014 08:51 AM
Debbie - if you are talking PV trackers of any particular kind, they will generally use a highly reduced electrical motor and a crown gear to handle azimuth tracking, and a so-called inch gear to handle elevation tracking, the both driven by an actuator controller such as a Siemens unit. If you have a more detailed question, or want more information feel free to email me at buildingrob@hotmail.com and I will endeavor to assist you as best I can
01-01-2014 10:52 AM
Top #6
Peter Harlow
01-01-2014 10:52 AM
Hello Deborah,

We have some explanations of how our systems work in practice on our website here :-

http://www.boschrexroth.co.uk/corporate/sub_websites/industries/solar/en/power_plants/index.jsp

There is a small animated video as well.

We use small hydraulic power packs because they are robust, reliable and easily understood by local service personnel.

Best Regards

Peter
01-01-2014 01:21 PM
Top #7
M Raja Reddy
01-01-2014 01:21 PM
What type of CSP solar field tracking system you are looking for: Tower, parabolic or CLFR. Each one have different type of tracking system. If you can specify, I can share the information I have to your personal email ID.
Reply to Thread