Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Solar Energy » HOW DO I BEST GO ABOUT BREAKING INTO THE SOLAR INDUSTRY
Topics: HOW DO I BEST GO ABOUT BREAKING INTO THE SOLAR INDUSTRY on Solar Energy
Start by
Stu Strumwasser
12-31-2013 06:57 PM

HOW DO I BEST GO ABOUT BREAKING INTO THE SOLAR INDUSTRY

Sales Evolution. Very experienced/capable in sales, bus dev and finance. 15 yrs on Wall St. followed by 5 as CEO of cpg startup. I have a great deal of success and experience in sales, sales management and training, marketing, deal structure and negotiation, raising capital, etc. I am a Cornell graduate and have a cursory understanding of the industry. I have been interested in renewable energy for a long time and believe there is huge opportunity, particularly in pv solar and the financing of solar. I can sell anything, and learned the beverage business in just a few months (I founded and ran a natural soda company), but I have found some employers reluctant to even consider anyone without direct industry experience. I am a tireless entrepreneur and want to build wealth while benefitting the planet. Suggestions?
12-31-2013 09:03 PM
Top #2
Stu Strumwasser
12-31-2013 09:03 PM
any thoughts?
12-31-2013 11:13 PM
Top #3
Chris L.
12-31-2013 11:13 PM
Hi Stu. Great questions, it depends on what area do you want to get in. I found that EPCs (aka install contractors) are fairly easy to start working with on the sales side. It is much like or can be like the real estate market where you are working on commission only. I found the manufacturer side to be a little more challenging. Looking at your original post, I would do the sales as an independent contractor, something tells me you work better for yourself than you do for others. If you want more information, let me know and we'll arrange something.
Regards,
Chris Lettman - Upsolar America, Inc
01-01-2014 01:24 AM
Top #4
Bijou Lulla
01-01-2014 01:24 AM
Hello Stu, I am also an outsider, wanting to get into the 'inside' and be a player in the Solar business. As far as opportunities go, and whatever little research I have done, I do share with Chris's assessment that positioning yourself as an 'independent' sales consultant and working closely with a Solar Installation firm can get you a toe hold into this industry. Many installation firms are populated with people with an 'electrical' industry background or qualification, and therefore lacking in marketing their proposition to the end consumer. Making the right pitch and art of closing the deal are as important - the other part rooftop solar panel installations mostly require a standard template.
01-01-2014 04:15 AM
Top #5
Samridh Goyal
01-01-2014 04:15 AM
Hi Stu, I am in a similar position as yourself.. I find a good way into the Solar PV industry is to identify gaps in key growth markets, provide solutions to bridge those gaps ( ie business/govt. contacts, ability to enter markets, previous experience in your applicable industry) and directly approach some of the leading PV manufacturers with a detailed business case. This seems to be working for me here in APAC... Good Luck!!
01-01-2014 06:16 AM
Top #6
Samridh Goyal
01-01-2014 06:16 AM
Oh, and one of the key value offerings I propose to PV manufacturers is to help them integrate forward by developing downstream capacity in Systems /Projects.. This is where my previous Sales Management/ Bus. Dev. experience comes into play.. Hope that helps
01-01-2014 09:04 AM
Top #7
Stu Strumwasser
01-01-2014 09:04 AM
Interesting suggestion. Could we talk offline to discuss
details a bit so I could better understand the specifics of what you’ve
done?

Reply to Thread