Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Inverter » 1 megawatt ground mounted solar farm from panels to the inverters?
Topics: 1 megawatt ground mounted solar farm from panels to the inverters? on Inverter
Start by
David Weinberg
12-29-2013 09:44 AM

1 megawatt ground mounted solar farm from panels to the inverters?

How many electrician hours are needed to wire a 1 megawatt ground mounted solar farm from panels to the inverters? I am looking for ballpark numbers. Assume there are 2175 panels and four inverters. Also assume the panels have already been mounted to racks and have the proper orientation. I am looking for the voices of experience on this one.
12-29-2013 12:35 PM
Top #2
Jonathan Fromm
12-29-2013 12:35 PM
David, that very much depends on whether you use the "plug and play" equivalent in solar PV, or not.
Have a look at the technology of SolarEdge - it negates the need to use exact equal orientation for your whole string. In fact the 2175 panels need not be of the exact same wattage, manufacturer etc. They have a youtube link too which portrays their holistic view very nicely.

Happy new year,

Jonathan :-)
12-29-2013 03:30 PM
Top #3
David Weinberg
12-29-2013 03:30 PM
Jonathan - I just checked out their website and technical data. Unfortunately, my panels are 460 Watt and greater than the input voltage for the SolarEdge box. Also their solar inverters are for 5 KW systems. An 800KW system would need almost 200...not really practical
12-29-2013 05:47 PM
Top #4
Jonathan Fromm
12-29-2013 05:47 PM
David, that's a good point - tbh I did not know that modules of such wattage exist, furthermore this contradicts the claim of SolarEdge to be able to provide their product benefits at the large-scale field level. Indeed their (currently existing) inverters are of no use to you.
Nevertheless, a few points for you for further consideration:

- SolarEdge are currently developing new products for more elaborate PV specs than the household ones, and that may very well include modules with wattage>350W (as advertised, 350Wbuilt-in). You may want to directly consult them about this issue.
-There are companies (even US based) doing the same thing, perhaps at the very scale you require. I definitely know of one [I'll get back to you when I remember/find their name].

Jonathan
Reply to Thread