Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Automation Technologies » Home automation : a concept which needs a global approval
Topics: Home automation : a concept which needs a global approval on Automation Technologies
Start by
Prashob K
10-21-2013 08:08 AM

Home automation : a concept which needs a global approval

Now a days we see lot of news related to energy crisis, global warming
etc , but i think the concept of home automation will really help in reducing the unwanted energy consumption to a great extend.

when automation based technologies are covering industry sectors, same thing should be implemented in other sectors too. the government authority of each and every nation should put forward bill/ steps for implementing automation concepts to small consumers. i think then we can cut down energy consumption to a great extend

Also giant automation companies should spread the message of good sides of this technology to the whole world.Global warming is going to be a serious issue in the coming years and as engineers we should think of a good future and should try all means to reduce all the harmful effect of global warming

I have read some where that a properly fully automated building will consume 30% less power than that of without automation
I wish those who read this will think of what i am trying to convey. Do share your view point and ideas here,

Prashob P K
Automation engineer
10-21-2013 10:53 AM
Top #2
Vijayant Singh
10-21-2013 10:53 AM
You are very right sir many of the companies started there building automation projects. This is very much enery efficient but the problem is initial cost which is actually very low these day but pepole still think PLC means costly so no need of Automation. when this will change we will get a fully automated buildings.
10-21-2013 01:16 PM
Top #3
Prashob K
10-21-2013 01:16 PM
the branded companies in the field of automation have come forward with the concept of home automation. But they are charging huge amount for it only because they are branded, actual cost of manufacturing those devices and sensors is very low.
So i expect some good initiative by either respective government authority or
any organization who favor energy conservation to come forward and take initiative , and we need to think about that i guess
what do you all think?
10-21-2013 04:05 PM
Top #4
Vijayant Singh
10-21-2013 04:05 PM
I'm working in a Omron system house for this pupose a programable relay or a micro plc is enough. its cost depends on its I/O and memory. But the major problem is guys who are saling this charges more which make it costly. If i got any project like this I'll go with a very cheap Delta,LG, Messung PLC these are cheap and reliable. But I'm still waiting for a PLC project to do.
10-21-2013 06:38 PM
Top #5
Dan Robinson
10-21-2013 06:38 PM
Effective energy conservation is achieved by the application of closed loop controls across a range of processes. If the typical retail consumer were capable of the design of such systems, there would not be recurring articles in trade journals bemoaning the lack of qualified process engineers. Since each home would have a different arrangement, age and range of appliances and systems, the control system will have to be customized for each application. Will the consumer be capable of this programming?

In order for most control systems to function properly, they have to be installed by individuals with understanding of grounding, RF/EMI issues, power/ load considerations, etc. The same trade journals point to a shortage of these people as well.

Additionally, governments will mandate systems having safety features to protect non-thinkers from themselves, those features costing far more than the technology to which they are applied. In most countries, the voltages that a self-installer encounters have the potential to kill him. If I were a consultant, how willing should I be to offer assistance at a modest price, just so my name could be added to a list of defendants when the consumer did something stupid? Liability insurance will be required and expensive.

The good news for the home automation industry, particularly in the area of energy conservation, is that in the industrialized nations, the ROI will be dramatically shortened by the global adoption of some form of carbon tax.
10-21-2013 08:42 PM
Top #6
Harold Ennulat, PE CSE
10-21-2013 08:42 PM
If we talk about home automation saving energy, then it seems we are going have to learn a lot about what energy we use, and what saves and looses energy. Then these uses, savings, and losses need to be quanified in energy terms and $ terms.

It doesn't seem like we can talk about "solar power" for example in isolation. The entire building system needs to be considered for all the utility uses (such as water, hot water (gas, electric or other), chilled water (electric), heating (gas, electric or other), ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, lighting and electrical power usage, steam, compressed air, communications). Then we need to look at solutions we can put together to form a comprehensive solution to minimize or optimize energy usage.

The other thing that strikes me is how a flour mill was run with NO motors in the late 19th century. Today there are hundreds of motors using lots of energy to produce the same amount of flour. It seems some of our energy "solutions" may be found in looking back to the past to form new energy efficient building system solutions.

Anyone know some good sources that at least begin to address this?
10-21-2013 11:21 PM
Top #7
Prashob K
10-21-2013 11:21 PM
within home , effective utilization of energy is important. for these here are some suggestion ,
companies who are manufacturing household electrical equipment should provided provision to take feedback related to their working condition so that devices can be looped together for better controlled operation
this provision should be of a universal standard like a serial port.

next thing is that there should be a automated alarm system in which we can set
the level of comfort and flexibility and the mode of operation we require for each and every home appliances
for example if it is air conditioning i should be able to set my requirements like during day time ac should be working only during this much period, and cooling to be provided to this much degree, like that
other possibilities include
mobile charging from solar sources
proper control of lighting system based on light sensors

but most importantly as i said above, there should be an common data/ control port in devices

please provide your valuable opinion on this topic, lets hope for a good future, lets be a part of it
10-22-2013 01:25 AM
Top #8
Björn Nord
10-22-2013 01:25 AM
I for one agree with you fully.
Additionally the branch need to agree on a interface/protocol standard.
One of the mayor bottle necks I see in people trying to equip their homes with automation/monitoring is that there are no standards as of yet. This means once they put their money in one system, either that system is discontinued or other parts of their home cannot talk to the other parts, rendering the entire project useless. Once a branch standard on communication is established people will DARE buy these systems. Then prices will drop accordingly - increasing sales.
10-22-2013 04:20 AM
Top #9
Vijayant Singh
10-22-2013 04:20 AM
If home automation takes its place in market it will replace all devices who says they can save electricity/energy plus all security alarm systems can become more strong than what they are now. I think with help of automation we can control the energy flow in system if this happens then there is saving.
Let me know about all your thinking so that some day we will see very good engineered HOME AUTOMATION in near future.
Reply to Thread