Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Human Machine Interface - HMI » HMI Concept development
Topics: HMI Concept development on Human Machine Interface - HMI
Start by
Vignesh Selvanatrajan
02-11-2014 09:39 AM

HMI Concept development

Hi everyone
I am currently working as an intern student at Salzgitter AG. I am working in the concept development for HMI and PLC programming for sand blasting machine.
Controller is Siemens S7 1200
My task : to choose between Siemens WinCC flexible vs WinnCC vs wonderware Intouch and develop a HMI. Either HMI(WinCC flexible or WinCC TIA or INTOUCH) and Siemens S7 1200. If possible to compare all the technical details in a table and advatages and disadvantages. Have anyone has prior experience working with this softwares. Please share your knowledge.
I am new to developing HMI, Operating System and PLC as I am from mech background ..I need some books for HMI development
02-11-2014 12:29 PM
Top #2
Nazmin Zulbadli
02-11-2014 12:29 PM
its more easier to use same brand for HMI n PLC to fasten up engineering work.
02-11-2014 03:23 PM
Top #3
Bruno Carbone
02-11-2014 03:23 PM
There are many factors to take into consideration here such as the number of tags, the operating environment and hence what type of HMI hardware you will use (a SCADA PC in a control room vs a touchscreen panel on the machine) and the cost. If you are planning to build multiple machines, can you get a better deal from Siemens for using their PLC and HMI? You may also find it easier to develop your tag database in the HMI if you are choose the WinCC option as the PLC database can be imported.

There is no right or wrong choice. You are the responsible engineer and you need to be able to justify the decision you make to your customer/manager both technically and financially. You have been set narrow guidelines as the PLC has been selected for you and you only have three HMI options to choose from.

Good Luck!
02-11-2014 05:26 PM
Top #4
Craig Balkin
02-11-2014 05:26 PM
I can't help you on the other two products but wonder ware can easily export a database into a csv file. The first question is are there other scada systems in you plant? If so you should stick with that system. The next question is there other plcs in your plant of so I would make sure that whatever you pick can communicate to them all. The ability to expand the network on a later date is huge. Finally since this is your first time working with a system is there an engineer or technician with experience with any of the systems if so go with that one. This way of you run into problems you can ask for help. Finally but in the same train of thought does your company have a technical support contact with any of those products if so then it will be more cost effective to stick with that product.
02-11-2014 07:48 PM
Top #5
Richard Ellis
02-11-2014 07:48 PM
Wonderware can also import the tags directly from the Siemens plc, either for the whole tag dictionary or just specicic ranges using an inbuilt Tag Importer, which I used very successfully recently on a project for a well-known yoghurt manufacturer. Similarly it can import from Allen Bradley, or from a suitably structured .csv file
Reply to Thread