Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Human Machine Interface - HMI » Are there any zero installation, Windows based, stand-alone HMIs?
Topics: Are there any zero installation, Windows based, stand-alone HMIs? on Human Machine Interface - HMI
Start by
Peter Milway
07-24-2014 05:10 PM

Are there any zero installation, Windows based, stand-alone HMIs?

I have a client who needs a "software product" that communicates via Modbus/TCP in-order to monitor/control some equipment that they sell. However this software will be deployed to *their* clients Windows based computers, and as such needs to be as turn-key, user-friendly as possible. Ideally my client's client simply copies a pre-configured version of this "software product" to their computer, and (assuming they have network connectivity) can talk directly to the equipment.

I could write a custom WPF/C# based application that did the comms, the display and the control. However it struck me that I would effectively be writing a custom, standalone HMI (albeit a very small one). While this is do-able, I doubt it is cost effective.

Instead I am looking for a small standalone HMI that can deploy a simple application to a Windows 7/8 machine, without *any* (or very very minimal) configuration or installation of additional drivers. The application just has to display between 10-15 graphical screens, monitor about 100 tags (mix of bools and analogs), and be able to write to a handful of them (mix of bools and analogs). No historian or trending functionality is required, and the only connectivity needed is Modbus/TCP. And finally it is something that is not necessarily always turned on and connected to the equipment. The ultimate client/user may just turn it on when they feel like looking at the system - so ease of start-up/shut-down is also needed - IE it needs to be treated like an App.

So what software packages would people recommend for this task?
07-24-2014 08:04 PM
Top #2
Bob Hines
07-24-2014 08:04 PM
Check out Inductive Automation's Ignition product: https://www.inductiveautomation.com/

The clients are essentially zero-install, only needing a web-browser and a fairly recent version of Java.
07-24-2014 10:16 PM
Top #3
Christian Selvin
07-24-2014 10:16 PM
If you want a standard HMI solution, you might want to take a look at Mitsubushi's iX solution. Their smaller panels can act as modbus masters although that takes some configuration. Their TxB and TxC panels however have a soft-PLC in them as well as a runtime system and can communicate with pretty much what you want.
07-25-2014 12:48 AM
Top #4
Ashish Manchanda
07-25-2014 12:48 AM
Try out the "Softlink" HMI which is now developed in Germany. www.softlink-europe.com/specs/manualTP300.pdf
07-25-2014 03:29 AM
Top #5
Sudarshan Rane
07-25-2014 03:29 AM
Hello
If you looking ofr nay HMI/SCADA package it will require one time installation . If you you use PLC with WEB browser facility , it will directly show the pages developed in the internet browser . You may choose any one of convenient solution .

Thanks
07-25-2014 06:15 AM
Top #6
Andrzej Swietek
07-25-2014 06:15 AM
Have a look at chinese WIENTEK HMI. I tried it and found it extremally versatile and what is most important - reliable
07-25-2014 08:22 AM
Top #7
Ronald Epskamp
07-25-2014 08:22 AM
what do you think about the first fully webbased scada solution running on small/embeded devices as well www.atvise.com And if this is even not enough go for the atvise portal solution which enables transparancy from HMI,thru SCADA to the Cloud.
07-25-2014 10:55 AM
Top #8
Simon Peerdeman
07-25-2014 10:55 AM
Hi Peter. Personally I would stick with the C# app to accompany an off the shelf touchscreen. I think that's the only way the installation can keep running without a screen attached. It's also the most cost effective. I understand what your asking however. The only screen I can think of is one from Demmel. Here's the link. Succes!
http://www.demmel.com/en/products.html
Reply to Thread