Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Solar Energy » Would rest of the world will survive for solar jobs in Solar industry?
Topics: Would rest of the world will survive for solar jobs in Solar industry? on Solar Energy
Start by
Peter Kataria
01-01-2014 02:13 PM

Would rest of the world will survive for solar jobs in Solar industry?

Would rest of the world will survive for solar jobs in Solar Cell, Solar Module, and Solar equipment manufacturing competing with China or China will take over all jobs and manufacturing in future?
01-01-2014 04:58 PM
Top #2
Moorthy Vediappan
01-01-2014 04:58 PM
Germany is the technology inventor in solar field but they can't survive with their technOlogy due to high operating and maintenance cost with less productivity or low cells performance. In other way Germany manufacturing and maintenance cost is higher.

And China already started to manufacture with lower cost, they have capable to control the solar world, it's sure that they will dominate the world.

For India, only now we are planning to manufacture low cost cells but it's less percent compare to China. Even govt doesn't want to subsidiary the amount on this field. We have to act fast.
01-01-2014 07:03 PM
Top #3
Peter Kataria
01-01-2014 07:03 PM
You are right Moorthy. Germany and USA will perform all kind of research and develpment. China will steal the technology, and capable to produce in mass production with no quality and flooding the market with low quality product. This gives a bad name to solar performence. In short, wherever China is involved, rest of the world suffers. Nothing against, china.

I am surprise, why country like India, with good brains and knowldge, do not pitch in high tech area, instead keep buying the solar panels from other countries, and just installation jobs in India. This action will create lot of jobs, and quality product.
01-01-2014 09:13 PM
Top #4
Peter Kataria
01-01-2014 09:13 PM
see, the cheap stuff again.
01-01-2014 11:59 PM
Top #5
Alex Faveluke
01-01-2014 11:59 PM
Sorry, I just don't buy the "China steals technology makes cheap stuff and hurts world" here.

I haven't heard anything about low quality from the Chinese majors... Suntech, Yingli, Trina, Canadian, etc... the real story is, they scaled up crystalline, where American VC and government financing was trying to knock one out of the park with thinfilm... 10 years ago I never would've expected crystalline to scale like it did, but it did. They're wafering crystalline so thin what's the point of thin films?

It's also a different focus and priority.. The Chinese majors have had access to huge amounts of cheap capital becuase their society and government made it a priority. A lot of worldwide companies have benefited... many of the capital tools they've built their plants with come from American companies like GT, Applied.. Meyer Burger (Swiss) probably isn't complaining either.

I personally think we (I'm from the US) should protect and expand our own industry.. and that we should as a society make finance and capital availiable to crystalline manufacturers here. I suppose Sunpower is really the last man standing here and it's majority owned by Elf now... it'd be a cheap time to buy it back! Sunpower is making the world's highest efficiency modules, and that's a huge advantage. I hope they don't lose their practical lead as we're approaching theoretical limits.

The biggest failure to me seems in the fact that solar manufacturing seems to be the perfect place for classic capital: large investments to fund scale, and the equity markets have completely fled from solar at this point. The Chinese, with their 5 year plans and big state banks have at least temporarily beat us with our quarterly focus.
01-02-2014 02:02 AM
Top #6
Jing XU
01-02-2014 02:02 AM
"China will steal the technology, and capable to produce in mass production with no quality and flooding the market with low quality product." I have different opinion too.

Why not go to the big Chinese factories and have a look before getting emotional?! How many lines have you seen as the biggest solar cell factory? 8-12 lines in Europe is already big, however 500MW wouldn't be counted as lead 1 big factory in China. There are some factories with 1GW - 2GW capacity.
Reply to Thread