Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Shrinking Lifevest Power Supply/Monitor Pack
Topics: Shrinking Lifevest Power Supply/Monitor Pack on General Discussion
Start by
Drexel White
01-14-2014 01:25 AM

Shrinking Lifevest Power Supply/Monitor Pack

Here's a question or maybe a challenge. Isn't there a smaller battery pack for wearable defibs? These units are about the size of a fanny pack & weigh a little over a pound heavy when carried or worn 24/7. I know power tech has something better to lessen this burden on patients.
01-14-2014 03:33 AM
Top #2
Alan Maltz
01-14-2014 03:33 AM
Drexel,

There are many new battery technologies that have higher energy density, but this is a medical device that has to go through an extraordinary approval process before it can be used by a patient. Unfortunately this means that new technologies often lag behind in their adoption in any patient critical application.

Alan
01-14-2014 05:53 AM
Top #3
Drexel White
01-14-2014 05:53 AM
Unfortunate. It could be of real benefit to people not up for or agree with the surgical procedure and military deployment where space and weight are critical.
01-14-2014 08:03 AM
Top #4
Jim Phipps, P.E.
01-14-2014 08:03 AM
Checkout...

http://www.atbatt.com/batteries/aed-defibrillator-battery.asp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DEFIBRILLATOR&gclid=CIf66p_e8rsCFa9aMgodXg4A4w

...then, go to REI and pick out a nice small pack or pair of paints that have a pocket that will fit the battery.
01-14-2014 10:19 AM
Top #5
Drexel White
01-14-2014 10:19 AM
Thanks for the links Jim. After a quick look these packs appear to be better suited to stationary defib/life vest. The weight also is about the same. The latter being the more significant. Clipping a pound or more to your belt or over the shoulder eventually feels more like five pounds. With advancements in kinetic energy my mind wonders over using tech of this nature to reduce the battery weight and size in exchange for a store/discharge system to maintain the required energy level while allowing a lower trickle discard for monitoring. This isn't my area but I don't think I'm straying into Star Trek tech.
Reply to Thread