Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » PLC-5 Question for Online Addition of Flex IO AI card on Remote IO Link
Topics: PLC-5 Question for Online Addition of Flex IO AI card on Remote IO Link on General Discussion
Start by
Usman Younis (40 Recommendations)
10-23-2013 08:24 AM

PLC-5 Question for Online Addition of Flex IO AI card on Remote IO Link

Dear all,

I am facing an issue at site on a Process PLC (PLC-5) while trying to add 4 new AI channels for Flow Meters.

We have redundant racks containing PLC-5 (1785-L80C 1.5) Processors with BCM module and power supply in each.
The IO configuration is attached, All IO are connected via Remote IO originating CPU & going to BCM and then to Remote IO Adaptors in each Rack.

We have Chassis 15 or Rack number 17 (a Flex IO node 1794-ASB on Remote IO) having only one 1794-IE8 Analog Input Card
configured.
My question is that "Can we add 2 more 1794-IE8 Analog Input Cards While Online". After Searching on Rockwell site and Knowledgebase I am unable to find a document that states this activity is possible or provides a procedure. I am assuming that it should be possible to Add a new Flex IO module
1794-IE8 in IO Configuration, and manually add BTW and BTR instructions and rungs using existing BT Files and existing N files and make these card work.

Kindly advise or Let me know who will be the right person to answer this kind of query
10-23-2013 10:39 AM
Top #2
Bhavin Shukla
10-23-2013 10:39 AM
I don't think so you can Add/Remove any card in PLC 5 while online.
10-23-2013 03:33 PM
Top #3
Abdul Wahid Romdoni
10-23-2013 03:33 PM
Base on my experience. you must power off the RIO rack where the new AI module installed, then power on the RIO .

You can modify the additional module by online edit... but please make sure several item before install:
1. Availability of power supply in RIO rack (where new AI module installed)
2. Availability of Memory in your CPU

better online editing by "rung by rung". and careful with redundant system (updating in primer should be same editing in secondary
Reply to Thread