Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Variable frequency drive » Bearings damages in spindle motor supplied from VFD drives.
Topics: Bearings damages in spindle motor supplied from VFD drives. on Variable frequency drive
Start by
Graziano ROLANDO
10-17-2013 06:05 AM

Bearings damages in spindle motor supplied from VFD drives.

10-17-2013 08:42 AM
Top #2
Terry Auchstetter
10-17-2013 08:42 AM
The problem is that high voltage spikes are arcing across the air gap in the bearings and leaving a little burn each time. It gradually builds up and leads to bearing failure. Two areas of solution would be to prevent the voltage spikes or to better ground the motor shaft. An electronic choke might be used to prevent the spikes. A grounding strap or brushes might be used to ground the motor shaft. I've heard of some motor manufacturers doing the opposite. Instead of making a better ground for the shaft, they better insulate it from ground by using ceramic balls in the bearings. However, that's not a solution a user can easily do himself in the field, so I'd stick with the choke or ground strap.
10-17-2013 11:34 AM
Top #3
Terry Auchstetter
10-17-2013 11:34 AM
Because my education was in mechanical engineering, I sometimes get myself in trouble when I try to explain electrical concepts. Therefore, I suggest you read this bulletin for more information on bearing damage due to VFD's: http://toshont.com/ag/vfdapplication/ag_12_pwm_bearing_damage.pdf
10-17-2013 01:35 PM
Top #4
Graziano ROLANDO
10-17-2013 01:35 PM
Terry, many thanks for your informations.
Another question: do you know if the currents circution into the bearings can produce overheating in high speed spindle drives?
10-17-2013 03:48 PM
Top #5
Michael DePinna
10-17-2013 03:48 PM
I have specified the use of Inpro Seal shaft current protection for any large horespower motor. www.inpro-seal.com
10-17-2013 06:38 PM
Top #6
Michael Savoie
10-17-2013 06:38 PM
I usually recommend an insulated bearing (SKF makes one with a ceramic coating to accomplish the same thing) or an Aegis grounding ring on motors that will be used with VFD's. You could also implement a line reactor to filter out noise.

I haven't heard of current creating an overheating in the bearings. Typically what happens is the current causes the ball bearing to spall and create pits. The results is that tiny metal bits act like sandpaper inside the bearing. That could be what is creating the overheating. http://www.vfds.in
10-17-2013 09:09 PM
Top #7
Jim Hausch
10-17-2013 09:09 PM
I've also heard good things about Aegis.

Other questions:
What is the switching frequency?
Is there a load reactor between the drive and motor?
Is the panel grounded properly?
Are you using a motor cable and properly landing the cable shield and motor ground, or, if using 3 conductors + ground, is the ground landing on the drive, rather than on the panel ground bus bar?

Also, since you mention "Spindle" motor. Tell us more about the machine and it's history. Is it new? Did it run OK and now there is a problem? Was it recently moved or rebuilt?

It seems like spindles in modern machine tools tend to be a well controlled environment built by folks who know what they are doing. The other questions might uncover a "why" or "what changed"....

Good luck.
10-18-2013 12:02 AM
Top #8
Chris Popp
10-18-2013 12:02 AM
There was a recent article in Design World on the subject. here's a link: http://www.designworldonline.com/how-to-protect-bearings-in-inverter-duty-motors/#_
Reply to Thread