Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Patent Farms, the scourge of technology
Topics: Patent Farms, the scourge of technology on General Discussion
Start by
Marty Brown
09-13-2013 04:17 AM

Patent Farms, the scourge of technology

Patent farms are holding companies that buy small companies for their IP. Certainly the start-up company needs the protection provided by the patent, but the acquiring company has not placed the development effort into the IP. The acquiring company then issues "submarine patents" that only change the claims subtly, thus keeping the patent alive for another 20 years. They are making millions/billions from common sense circuit applications which you and I accept as common sense. Examples include: white LED (vs. colored LEDs) dimming by PWM, capacity gauging of batteries, etc.
These patent farms are winning because they have manipulated the system to their advantage. How do we design our technology within an external market system that leaves your company open to patent suits? What does this mean for an individual who wants to files for a patent when there are overwhelming costs to defend it?
09-13-2013 06:19 AM
Top #2
Ray Ridley
09-13-2013 06:19 AM
Good topic.

Basic technologies are being patented over and over. Part of the problem is the patent office basically approves everything, and it all gets decided in court by who has the deepest pockets.

Didn't use to be a problem in power since we were always not a very exciting field, but that is changing rapidly.

Maybe someone can design a high voltage power supply that wipes out the lawyers, then we can all get on with our work.
09-13-2013 09:10 AM
Top #3
Christopher Merren
09-13-2013 09:10 AM
Ray...you should also take up comedy!!!
I have been sitting on several electrical solutions for quite some time... I fear what would happen if I apply for patent... I know of the few major companies who would go bonkers if they saw this idea.... Just like the big kid in the playground taking the ball.... They would take what they want and run with it.... I would go broke trying to defend the patent...
In the end I loose... So instead I will just take this technology to the grave....
09-13-2013 11:13 AM
Top #4
Marty Brown
09-13-2013 11:13 AM
What I have experienced was the patenting of basic technology as soon as it emerges, The patent farms whose patents were kept alive by submarine patents are still alive today. Some examples are: CMOS power consumption vs VDD and Fclock which we engineers have realized since the 1979's ), putting an MCU within a battery to gauge its remaining capacity, LED brightness and color controlled by I and PWM.
These patent farms are suing HP, Apple, Toshiba, and even Intel over these issues. They have no stake in the technology, but are reaping millions from the patents that should have expired years ago.
This is a loophole in the US and international patent system and the opportunistic operations of lawyers. It is wrong and opportunistic. Technology must advance, but due to the patent operation, which was established as a small company protector, is now big business.. Due to the inoperability of the US and international governments, I to not expect any change soon.
09-13-2013 01:52 PM
Top #5
Ray Ridley
09-13-2013 01:52 PM
I'm not sure it's due to the inoperability of the government. Remember, pretty much all the elected officials in the US are actually lawyers themselves.
Reply to Thread