Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Solar Energy » How do you think of PV Power Optimizer?
Topics: How do you think of PV Power Optimizer? on Solar Energy
Start by
Jessica Su
12-30-2013 09:11 AM

How do you think of PV Power Optimizer?

How do you think of PV Power Optimizer? Do you think if it is necessary to install? what is its market prospect?
We have been planning to research a power Optmizer to improve the efficient of Panels with MPPT function since last year. We found that some company have already launched this production, though we still want to research it by ourself.

So how do you think of it, do you think if it is necessary to install an optimzer for each module, how do you think of its future market? what is your most concern? What's other function do you want it has?
12-30-2013 02:14 PM
Top #2
Jamal Merabet
12-30-2013 02:14 PM
Both microinverters and MPPT devices are taking off quickly.
you have to search on the technological advantages of a DC-DC device over a microinverter.
light has many different wave lengths, and thus different energy levels, some
photons have too much or too little energy to knock off the electrons in the panel‟s material,
A DC-DC power optimizer, is a piece of hardware that boosts panel voltage to meet the optimum voltage levels for the operation of the inverter,so it maximize energy throughput from each and every module through constant tracking of Maximum Power Point individually per module. Some companies like eIQ, Solar Edge and National Semiconductor already are leading this market.
12-30-2013 07:30 PM
Top #3
Scott Short
12-30-2013 07:30 PM
My biggest concern with any new PV associated technology is costs! as a wholesaler i am finding our industry becoming more and more price driven. With FiT and government incentives being cut globally i am expecting a reduction in revenew for 2012. Micro Inverters are higher yielding and less expensive hence a no brainer. I do not expect any further drop in price for modules next year, infact i question how long the current discount pricing can be maintained. So higher yielding less expensive micro inverters will be push in OZ for 2012.
12-30-2013 10:05 PM
Top #4
René Moerman
12-30-2013 10:05 PM
The costs are indeed quite high but sometimes you don't have a choice. Two examples:
1 A roof with a chimney. You can choose to put only modules around it or use the entire roof with a power optimized system. It is a matter of calculating or the higher price is worth it.
2 After certain period there is a problem with some modules in a string. At that time you cannot buy the old ones anymore. When you place new ones you have a problem because all different types of modules also have different MPPT. And on the same inverter that drastically will increase the output or you cannot use the inverter anymore at all.

Others probably can add more cases why it's worth investigating the use of power optimizer.
12-31-2013 12:55 AM
Top #5
Scott Sullivan
12-31-2013 12:55 AM
We have side by side data
12-31-2013 05:59 AM
Top #6
Jessica Su
12-31-2013 05:59 AM
Thank you all for your information. The cost is not that high, for some one has already searched out some chips and it is not expensive.
I do not know if there is any marketing prospect
Reply to Thread