Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Connecting to feeder conductors to Emergency generator
Topics: Connecting to feeder conductors to Emergency generator on General Discussion
Start by
Enid C.
10-18-2013 02:03 AM

Connecting to feeder conductors to Emergency generator

Working on several projects to install Emergency generator to pick up building service, any ideas/past experiences on connecting to feeder conductors after the service disconnect switch. The existing service disconnect switch was installed as part of the main distribution board. Thanks in advance.
10-18-2013 04:12 AM
Top #2
Alan Maltz
10-18-2013 04:12 AM
Since you did not state where you are doing this your only safe choice is to contact the local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction). If there is none then the electrical codes for the locale/country are your next step.
10-18-2013 06:29 AM
Top #3
Enid C.
10-18-2013 06:29 AM
Yes I am aware of NEC & NFPA, etc. and local AHJ...just wanted to get some feedback from people who have worked on projects such as these. Thanks
10-18-2013 09:22 AM
Top #4
Christian Chinedu
10-18-2013 09:22 AM
Enid,I don't know if I understood your question well but from my experience
Emergency /Essential backup generator comes in after your Service/Metering Point.In your own case,you need to modify the installation and separate the service disconnect switch from the board,introduce a change over switch for the emergency/essential generator before your distribution board.This ensures that your essential loads are serviced and not metered when the generator is on.
Reply to Thread