Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Automation Technologies » Automated Part Inspection
Topics: Automated Part Inspection on Automation Technologies
Start by
Todd Starr
10-22-2013 04:14 AM

Automated Part Inspection

Automated Part Inspection is just one of the many ways to benefit from automating current or future operations. There are many number of applications of automating today, from the simplest of adding conveyors, to very complex robotic system. Automated Part Inspection is just one example of a commonly used method. Below are some examples. Please contact me if you would like more detailed information on a particular application or on an application that is not listed here.

Automating part inspections is commonly done with the use of cameras or sensors or a combination of both. They are used to detect flaws in the product such as missing holes or components, improper edges or contours, or damaged surfaces. Cameras and sensors can be fixed mounted or mounted on a robot depending on the application and can be programmed for many different parts.

Advantages of Automated Part Inspection:

Quality: Because of the programmability of robots, cameras and sensors, flaws in parts can be detected that may sometimes be missed by an operator.

Efficiency: By automating part inspection, flawed parts can channeled away from the normal production process to be repaired or removed from the operation with minimal to no interference to the other processes.

Reducing Scrap: By detecting and removing flawed parts from the process will prevent those parts from continuing on further in the process, possibly wasting material and energy to a point where they may not be able to be repaired.

Increased Output: By increasing efficiency and reducing scrap can easily equate to increased output.

Safety: Automating part inspection can increase safety by the early removal of damaged parts that if left in a process may cause damage to machinery or other equipment which could possibly injure to an operator, or by removing an operator from an environment that may cause injury.
10-22-2013 06:29 AM
Top #2
Gulshan Dubey
10-22-2013 06:29 AM
But for that one should need a good sensors. and the sensors are depends upon the requirements of the process.
10-22-2013 09:23 AM
Top #3
Vijayant Singh
10-22-2013 09:23 AM
Mr. Dubey the whole automated component inspection depends on the size of object and what to be measured. If the sensor is of good quality it will give reliable results..
10-22-2013 11:40 AM
Top #4
Gulshan Dubey
10-22-2013 11:40 AM
yes Mr. Singh, I agree. I meant to say that sensors are of different types and requirement of process decide the criteria of sensors to be chosen. now my question is that which kind of sensors are suitable for the above Automated part inspection?. Thanks
10-22-2013 01:45 PM
Top #5
Todd Starr
10-22-2013 01:45 PM
The inspection application mentioned above is a generalization. In order to spec out the proper sensor or camera, we would need specific information on part size, material, orientation as well as background, motion just to name a few. When it comes to part inspection, each application is unique.
10-22-2013 04:29 PM
Top #6
Vijayant Singh
10-22-2013 04:29 PM
Mr. Dubey Its depends on the process like Mr. Starr mentioned it. If you will give the detail then I can help you. The whole system configuration depends on the product and its specification.
10-22-2013 07:18 PM
Top #7
Gulshan Dubey
10-22-2013 07:18 PM
Thanks Mr. Starr, I got my point .Thanks Mr. Singh for your help , right now I am studying.
Reply to Thread