Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Wound Rotor Was Burned
Topics: Wound Rotor Was Burned on General Discussion
Start by
Huynh Hoai Nhat
07-24-2014 04:43 AM

Wound Rotor Was Burned

We have the customer use MCEMax to measure and diagnosis the condition of wound rotor and they have a good condition for this wound rotor with RTG =5000Mohm and PI = 5.1 with smooth graphic, but after three months later when this motor running in normal condition the customer turn off this motor after that they start again and 2 minutes later the Rotor was burned and this rotor was destroyed ( You can see this in attached file). Could you give me some ideas for this problem to explain for customer? If have short turn in windings of this rotor so How long from they have signals to complete destroyed with your experience? Thanks

P/S: this ABB motor 6.6kV, 350kW
07-24-2014 07:21 AM
Top #2
Charles Yung
07-24-2014 07:21 AM
Huynh,
If you can send the file to my email address (cyung@easa.com), I can probably shed some light on this failure. With wound rotor machines, we occasionally see a failure in the rotor caused by the transformer effect between rotor and stator -- very similar to a Reclosure or rapid restrike: If the stator is energized while coasting down, before the magnetic field has fully diminished, restarting the motor can damage the rotor.
It would also be helpful to know the poles, as there are some specific combinations of circuits & poles that can contribute to the problem.
Chuck
07-24-2014 09:33 AM
Top #3
Huynh Hoai Nhat
07-24-2014 09:33 AM
Dear Charles.m
Please check email. I have already sent the picture for you. Please help me.
07-24-2014 12:07 PM
Top #4
Robert Melaia
07-24-2014 12:07 PM
Hello Huynh (Charles, Members).

I also can't see the file you refer to in the post. Could you email it to me as well please? melaia@mweb.co.za
Thanks.
Robert.
Reply to Thread