Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Solar Energy » Solar professionals
Topics: Solar professionals on Solar Energy
Start by
Syawn Jordan
12-31-2013 05:10 PM

Solar professionals

Okay, so you guys are the solar professionals,Syawn jordan Maxwell Solar school Student finishing up in a week or so,where is the big work at? state city? details details!
12-31-2013 07:46 PM
Top #2
Rob Rydberg
12-31-2013 07:46 PM
Start with utilities, then look into new ventures, developing technology. Sales can lead you to the right manufacturer and some contacts there.
12-31-2013 10:02 PM
Top #3
Chitvan Kaushal
12-31-2013 10:02 PM
the biggest market for solar is India at this moment with most reforms in the enviorment rules
01-01-2014 12:15 AM
Top #4
Walter Wodka
01-01-2014 12:15 AM
Decide what your skill set is and decide how to best apply it to a particular part of the Solar Industry you want to work in, its big. Research, Manufacturing, installation, process development. Find out where in the world most of that work is being done and start contacting those companies. Be ready to pick up your life and move to where you can get the most experience.
Go get a copy of Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath, available on Amazon. In and hour you can find out a lot about yourself and your strengths. Take your education and back ground and build on these strengths.
01-01-2014 03:11 AM
Top #5
Arseny Lebedev
01-01-2014 03:11 AM
I love Chitvan's answer
01-01-2014 05:17 AM
Top #6
Scot Kelly
01-01-2014 05:17 AM
In North Amercia, Ontario is the hot spot. In the U.S., CA and NJ are the best markets. The biggest problem with the U.S. is that the Fed ITC grant will expire at the end of the year which will be a huge blow to the solar industry in 2011. An extension of this grant may happen but don't hold your breath.

The best advice I can give you is look at large successful solar companies that have direct access to financing. Access to funding for projects is the critical element for solar sales today. In terms of commercial solar implementations, only the largest most profitable projects are being funded in the U.S. today. On the residential front, turnkey financing such as SunRun's residential PPAs drive the sector. 2011 will see a huge shakeout in the U.S. solar installation landscape with many smaller installers going under due to the Fed ITC grant expiration, no national renewable policy, few realistic financing options and a large uneducated public (or at least a fossil fuel complacent public).
01-01-2014 07:35 AM
Top #7
Scott Collins
01-01-2014 07:35 AM
Syawn,
Congratulations on completing the Solar training program. That is an awesome accomplishment. You should be proud.
Are you asking about the “big work” in a general sense or more personal, as in, “Now that I’ve been trained, where do I get a job?”
I think the other posters have addressed the first question. Let me give you a few tips in the “where do I get a job” category.
First)
Google a list of “Solar Installers” in your area. Try different searches. Make sure to save your research. Print it or copy-clip it into a word file

Second)
Look at the websites for the Solar companies to research the companies and to find their contact information, not just address and phone number, but their e-mail address as well. If possible, find out who the owner is, and his or her e-mail address.

Third)
Create your resume. Don’t worry that you’re a student starting out, we’ve ALL been there. For help on your resume, find the State Job and Career Center in your area. It’s a part of the Unemployment office. They will have workshops and counselors to help you with the resume and when the job hunt gets discouraging.

Fourth)
Write a nice e-mail cover letter, attach your resume, and e-mail it to every single one of those companies.

Fifth) Don’t wait for them to call you. Give them a day or two to read your e-mail and then call them. Tell them you e-mailed your resume and you’d like to talk to whoever would be best about a job.

Sixth) Don’t give up

I hope this helps.
Reply to Thread