Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Regarding configuration of a Profibus DP network
Topics: Regarding configuration of a Profibus DP network on General Discussion
Start by
Himanshu Pandey
02-18-2014 12:27 AM

Regarding configuration of a Profibus DP network

If any slave got damaged on any profibus network, then if we replace it by same MLFB's new slave. In that case is it automatically configured in running Profibus network?
And if in inventory, we don't have the same MLFB's slave available. So we connected a little bit different MLFB's slave. So in this case, should i recofigure that slave into HW configration & download again into PLC?
So if a little bit different's MLFB slave we connect on network, in that case we have to stop the PLC and plant will trip. Is there such kind of functionality available,so that we can connect a different MLFB device on a live profibus netowrk. And the device automatically configured. So that plant can be prevented from trips.
02-18-2014 03:16 AM
Top #2
Himanshu Pandey
02-18-2014 03:16 AM
@Tiberiu Nicolau-Stoika: I am not asking here the configuration Profibus slaves on a network. I am just asking, have you seen such kind of configuration in that while we change any faulty slave in live network. Then it can be automatically configured & a slave ID is assigned to this. We don't need to open PLC software.
02-18-2014 05:32 AM
Top #3
Tiberiu Nicolau-Stoika
02-18-2014 05:32 AM
Faulty slaves can be replaced in a live Profibus network.
Configuring everything (including network ID) automatically is not possible.
They must have at least their network address (ID) and the telegram format configured.
I suppose someone can imagine some sort of automatic configuration routine, once the "new" device is discovered on network.
I wouldn't reconfigure devices without human intervention.
02-18-2014 08:12 AM
Top #4
Nnamdi Izuchukwu Nnona
02-18-2014 08:12 AM
The mastsr plc on a profibus network only scan for the slaves during start-up
And if all bus participants are found at the right addresses, a No error signal is returned, in the case of replacing a DP slave with another different slave,
You will need to copy the GSD file on the hardware configuration of the master plc
It's always advisable to shutdown and download the new configuration.. Cheers
02-18-2014 11:06 AM
Top #5
Himanshu Pandey
02-18-2014 11:06 AM
@Nnamdi Izuchukwu Nnona: So if by any method, we will develop a temporarily functionality. In that, there is a temp option on every module. So if in temp mode any different device we connect. And it is configured temporarily & also working. Its something like plug & play kind. In this situation, the plant person's need not to open simatic manager & need not to restart the cpu.
Can it be helpful for plants?
02-18-2014 01:55 PM
Top #6
Nnamdi Izuchukwu Nnona
02-18-2014 01:55 PM
It depends on the functonality that is on the defective module...You can spread this functionality on other working modules but it means making changes on the program structures...which requires some skills depending on your program structure..
Reply to Thread