Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Solar Energy » NEED SOME HELP WITH SOLAR POWER. ANYBODY CAN HELP ??
Topics: NEED SOME HELP WITH SOLAR POWER. ANYBODY CAN HELP ?? on Solar Energy
Start by
Akmal Fanous
12-25-2013 08:30 PM

NEED SOME HELP WITH SOLAR POWER. ANYBODY CAN HELP ??

if i have a power consumption of 50 KW per day, how much power of PV plant i should generate.Is it the same, higher or lower ??
12-25-2013 11:09 PM
Top #2
Alan Maltz
12-25-2013 11:09 PM
Akmal,

Do you want to: have storage, sell excess energy to the grid, operate standalone, operate 7x24, etc. These are a few of the questions that you need to answer before you go solar.

Another thing to answer, do you mean that you have a 50kW demand 7x24, or that you have 50kWh of consumption over a 24 hour period? There's potentially a really big difference in the size of your solar plant between the two.

Alan
12-26-2013 01:54 AM
Top #3
Ray Lalonde
12-26-2013 01:54 AM
Akmal,
Based on the info. you have provided it appears that you have an off- grid application. The load power requirements (voltage?) have to be taken into consideration as does your site location. The first step in system design that we take is load analysis and optimization. Your power requirements are large by typical solar off grid standards so having the most efficient equipment at the load end pays for itself almost immediately with these types of systems.
12-26-2013 04:01 AM
Top #4
Hema Sridhar Reddy
12-26-2013 04:01 AM
Akmal,
I am assuming the question as, we have a load connected that consumes 50KW power all the time (24X7) and we want to power it with Solar PV plant completely. So, there are two major points to consider, Solar PV Plant Capacity, Battery Storage Capacity
Solar PV Plant Capacity: This is completely depends on the insolation level in your region. Generally, it is reliable to install 1.5 to 2 times the required capacity so your capacity should be somewhere around 75 to 100 KW. If you feel like some dissatisfaction going for this technique better you may go for insolation distribution of the region (If I am not wrong, you may get data from environmental agencies) and get to know the power generation from 50KW plant and add required number of panels to satisfy the demand (considering worst case like cloudy day). If you don’t want to go for such an option install for 50KW and take the remaining power from grid. It is always to have grid interactive Solar PV Plant.
When it comes to battery storage capacity, first determine the number of hours you want to run the load of 50KW during the time when there is no sunshine (evening & night times) technically this is called Autonomy and choose battery storage capacity wisely (this is the place where you need to spend lot of money on).
12-26-2013 06:58 AM
Top #5
Gene Moe
12-26-2013 06:58 AM
My opinion for continuous loads is closer to 4-5 times load. A good system might produce 6 kwhrs per day for each installed kW capacity whereas the load runs 24 hours per day. Unless you are in a high solar area there will be 20 percent and higher days with less than optimal solar output. Data is available for most parts of the world that provides information on average insolation per square meter.
Reply to Thread