René Moerman
02-27-2014 03:30 AM
Yes, what is your question?
02-27-2014 06:04 AM
Top #3
Darius Jack Global Technology Transfer
02-27-2014 06:04 AM
Thanks René,

could you provide me with some info on what PV brand names, types are bankable in the Netherlands and by what procedure, standards.
If you aware of PV whitelists for the Netherlands, please give me some references.
02-27-2014 09:00 AM
Top #4
René Moerman
02-27-2014 09:00 AM
There is no such white list - as far as I know - in the Netherlands. This is a country where banks don't have any experience so far.
We insure extended warranty. Both for inverters and modules for 20 year. But bith have to be approved. If you send me an email I will send you some information about that.
rene.moerman@solarif.com
02-27-2014 11:17 AM
Top #5
02-27-2014 11:17 AM
Can insurance be provided to solar systems made of non-bankable PV panels ?
02-27-2014 01:47 PM
Top #6
René Moerman
02-27-2014 01:47 PM
Depends on it what insurance. When you are talking about operational cover (= all risk + production loss) more products are allowed. And it is not the issue or they are bankable or not but is they are insurable or not.
For the extended warranty there is another white list then for the operational cover.

......and before you ask me to send those lists...No, they are confidential.
02-27-2014 04:12 PM
Top #7
02-27-2014 04:12 PM
So what in case PV modules are insurable by your company and not-bankable ,
i.e. not legible for public financing, financing by the Funds ?

First comes financing, than insurance,
but solar project developers should be aware of insurance premium in advance, to let them make better choice and selection of PV panels.

I am sure your whitelists are open.
What can be confidential ( to some extend) is insurance premium or rate.

If 100MW of PV panels are traded every week and some claimed bankable, some not claimed, there must be a reliable and interactive market made of insurers, Funds
to make solar projects a reality.

Frankly speaking, extended warranty insurance can be provided directly by a manufacturer.

What matters is bankability status of PV panels as buying 5MW in non-bankable PV panels, not legible for public financing or financing by international Funds doesn't make sense.

As PV panels are delivered to Europe from China, India, Korea and other regions of the world I just need basic bankability tool or calculator.
That's all.

First comes bankability.
Insurance just follows.
02-27-2014 06:55 PM
Top #8
René Moerman
02-27-2014 06:55 PM
@Darius. I am afraid again a disagree. If your products are not insurable you won't get finance and this is talking because of experience.
The way it is going is like this:
1 Project developers develop their plan
2 They approach us for an insurance offer as insurance premiums influences return on equity
3 They work out the entire plan
4 Go to the bank
5 The bank judges the plan including the insurance offer (in some countries banks ask for the conditions and who is the carrier)
6 The bank say yes or no
7 They start ordering materials
8 They start building
9 The project is finished and the insurances have to start

That is our experience in 12 EU countries. So first insurable then bankable.
02-27-2014 09:02 PM
Top #9
02-27-2014 09:02 PM
@René,

exactly, so what makes PV modules insurable
or you simply don't care bankability.

Another story is what is not insurable by one insurance company can still be insurable by another.

From your last line I assume, you don't care for PV bankability,
as it's up to the bank to make a decision.

So a bank must keep whitelist of bankable PV.

What is a ranking of PPA on your list ,
do you or a bank care for PPA ?

My congratulation on your experience in 12 EU countries.

What I need is just one whitelist for EU
of bankable and insurable PV modules,
to let me tell manufacturers from China, India, Korea etc. and exporters of their PV products, to stop delivering non-bankable, non-insurable PV modules intended for solar projects in Europe
and start working on making them both insurable or bankable (better efficiency, better quality control, better technology, IEC conformity testing etc.)

Fair investment risk management in solar business and hedging against third party risks involved.
02-27-2014 11:29 PM
Top #10
René Moerman
02-27-2014 11:29 PM
@Darius. If it was that simple it would be nice. But every country, every insurance company have their own way for insurances and bankability. There is not one rule for it.
Europe is big in differences and that is it's charm but sometimes also it's disadvantage.

And to help dreams away. There will never be one standard for this.

And in answer to what you write. In some countries bankability is a result of insurability and in most countries the other way around.
Reply to Thread