Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » PMSM initial rotor alignment: what is the correct strategy?
Topics: PMSM initial rotor alignment: what is the correct strategy? on General Discussion
Start by
Michele d'Ercole
09-26-2013 03:44 AM

PMSM initial rotor alignment: what is the correct strategy?

Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie, and this is my first approach to motor control. In particular, I should control a PMSM motor (about 1 hp) using the sensorless FOC system based on a BEMF observer.
I'm in trouble about the initial rotor position and the strategies used for this purpose.
Can anyone explain or indicate documents about how, in practice, to do this initial alignment ?
09-26-2013 06:42 AM
Top #2
Leonid Gannel
09-26-2013 06:42 AM
Look at Allegro A4960 Sensorless BLDC Motor Driver using back-EMF for feedback.
09-26-2013 09:38 AM
Top #3
Sandro Calligaro
09-26-2013 09:38 AM
The problem is not only alignment: control below a certain minimum speed is not possible based on B-EMF.
What I think is the standard startup is to ignore the estimated position and speed, and keep the speed regulator offline.
A constant magnitude current vector has to be kept steady in a certain position for some time (alignment) and then will be rotated at the reference speed (ramped up from zero).
In the meanwhile, B-EMF algorithm has been already started, and above a certain speed FOC torque control and speed feedback can be closed.
09-26-2013 12:25 PM
Top #4
Ari Berger
09-26-2013 12:25 PM
If you'll state whether it is an SMPM (surface mount) or IPM (internal), the answers will be more focused on your motor. there are different strategies for these two types.
Reply to Thread