Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Different vendors for HMI and Automation Engineering Software
Topics: Different vendors for HMI and Automation Engineering Software on General Discussion
Start by
Alapan Samadder
07-31-2014 09:35 PM

Different vendors for HMI and Automation Engineering Software

Hello Everyone,

I am doing a market study on the features of Automation Engineering softwares.

My Question is - when you are using a Human-Machine Interface(HMI) and an automation engineering software (to program PLC) concurrently do you as a user prefer to use softwares from the same vendor?
or is there any advantage(s)/disadvantage(s) using different vendors? please state your preference by example if possible.”
07-31-2014 11:53 PM
Top #2
René Swagerman (B Eng)
07-31-2014 11:53 PM
I would prefer to use the same vendor for PLC and HMI if possible, but you do not always have a free choice of vendor due to installed base or customer preferences.
Same vendor for PLC and HMI usually has benefits with software integration, saves time in engineering and when you ask for support, you don't have to vendors blaming the other product for causing the issue.
You might not have the lowest purchase price, there might be a cheaper PLC or HMI you can buy that also fits the requirements. But in the long run I think you are better of with one quality vendor that can deliver both.
08-01-2014 02:11 AM
Top #3
Dev Kainth
08-01-2014 02:11 AM
I agree with René. The main benefit I see would be the ease of use offered by software integration. For example, using the GT Designer software for Mitsubishi HMIs allows you to simulate PLC code concurrently and the integration between the PLC
Reply to Thread