Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Human Machine Interface - HMI » which HMIs are better? wincc, omron, delta, panel visa, lg?
Topics: which HMIs are better? wincc, omron, delta, panel visa, lg? on Human Machine Interface - HMI
Start by
ali Panahi
01-02-2014 10:27 PM

which HMIs are better? wincc, omron, delta, panel visa, lg?

a lot of software's are used for HMIs. which of them better?
01-02-2014 10:31 PM
Top #2
Charlie Dana Campi
I tend to look at Vendor Tech support and the kiss method. No, I don't mean kiss the tech, I mean keeping it simple. So your installing and programming away, and you hit the bricks on an issue. Or your plant goes down on an IP comm issue or the cpu just went out on your drive, You reach for the cell phone to get the a vendor tech. that you have gotten to know on a first name basis after using there product for 20 years. There's some great HMI PLC vendors were the hardware cost are very reasonable, look nice and professional, easy to integrate to the point your kids can do it, does not overwhelm the CEO's who sometimes don't understand there plants, and hardware replacement is on your plant floor by 10am the next day. Look at the cost of the machine ie why put a $5,000 system on a $3,800 machine. Don't be intimidated by what the Gumby factory is using down the street...I just came from an Oregon Lumber mill, I mean massive running 18 peer to peer Master Slave plcs, vfds and 8 HMI stations from planners to grade sorters. There running all Automation Direct 06's and 205/260 cpus with c-more HMI's. The plant is very remote and the lead electrician can manage most issues because of the simplicity and simple programming. I like KISS.
Top #3
NISHANT KUMAR JHA
i had sen many discussions regarding which is better HMI but i dont think we can compare like this.Every HMI has its own pros and cons.It much depends on developer which HMI to choose and on engineer's who have to troubleshoot.If tey are friendly with wonderware then go for it or if with wincc then it is good.For small applications where you have to use 50 or 100 tags then go for some small names like ADAM VIEW or some VB based SCADA.But for large applications always go with good brand names.And one more thing it is always a good practise to use same SCADA of same company whose PLC is being used as integration is quite easy like i use Eurotherm PAC so i will go with E-Suite integrated with Wonderware.
01-02-2014 10:32 PM
Top #4
Phani Kumar
01-02-2014 10:32 PM
Proface is Better HMI. it support Maximum all PLCs, it have in build drives for PLCs. and it have Universal Protocols like MODBUS, TCP/ IP Protocol. Some Selected HMI models have MPI Port to Communicate with Siemens PLCs. and Performance wise it is best Interface. you can communicate with unsupported Components by using Visual Basic Script. it have 64k Resolution and 3D Parts. i communicated Siemens, Rockwell, Yokogowa, Omron, Fatek, Fuji, Delta, Bosch, Schneider, ABB, Mitsubishi PLCs. and Fuji, Schneider, Omron, ABB Drives, Fuji, Omron Temperature Controllers, Load cell, Weighing Equipment, Micro Printers and all HP & Emerson Printers. and it have Remote HMI Facility.
01-03-2014 01:23 AM
Top #5
Shaf Ali
01-03-2014 01:23 AM
certainly wonderware intouch. very reliable and easy to develop/maintain
01-03-2014 04:21 AM
Top #6
Joshua Irish
01-03-2014 04:21 AM
And, Intellution IFIX has been around awhile and has some advantages. Iconics Genesis is out there, too. And Citect. And Inductive Automation's Ignition offers a lot for a low price.
01-03-2014 06:31 AM
Top #7
vikas sharma
01-03-2014 06:31 AM
wincc is better
01-03-2014 09:26 AM
Top #8
Joshua Irish
01-03-2014 09:26 AM
I honestly don't find the statement "X is better than Y" to be very useful in industrial automation. Better for what? I have worked in the PLC realm mostly with Allen-Bradley and Modicon. I have taught programming classes and I always tell students that they are better at different things because I honestly believe that to be true.
I have not yet found the perfect PLC nor the perfect HMI nor the perfect historian: each that I have worked with has its own usefulness and glitches.
01-03-2014 11:54 AM
Top #9
ali Panahi
01-03-2014 11:54 AM
thank you because of your attention .I ment compare as a userfriendly or number of maximum tags supported ,ability to connect more plc types .startup speed. for example wincc is very lazy and slow
01-03-2014 02:03 PM
Top #10
Nick Stoika
01-03-2014 02:03 PM
Depends on Integration needs, Budget and skills.
If you have supervisory needs you should go with big names, Ifix, Wonderware....
If you just need local HMI I suggest looking on the HMI that seems easy for you to program.
I would get a demo from a dealer and play with it and choose the one that you find friendly.
The most friendly I've seen was IDEC HMI....
01-03-2014 05:00 PM
Top #11
Max Ketcham
01-03-2014 05:00 PM
They are all good, it is simply a matter of preference. My preference is FactoryTalk View, but WinCC is just as "good", Wonderware is good but way to Expensive for my liking, Red Lion is Good and will connect to almost any PLC, so take your pick. My suggestion is if you have Rockwell in your plant use factorytalk, if you have Siemens use WinCC, you get my point. It is always easier to use the HMI software of the PLC's your going to be connecting to. If you Have a lot of different PLC's in your plant to connect to then Red Lion would be my choice, only because it connects to so many so easily. But in the end, all that matters is that YOU understand the HMI software you are programming with.
01-03-2014 07:55 PM
Top #12
Ayub chaodhri
01-03-2014 07:55 PM
If you are looking for cost effective & user friendly hmi, Delta is the best option.
01-03-2014 10:37 PM
Top #13
Akshay Malhotra
01-03-2014 10:37 PM
I have developed HMI's ON Wonderware Platform and Panel View ME and SE with Allen Bradley Controllers. When you use Wonderware you require a middle guy "OPC Server". When you use Panel view there is no need of OPC Server. The tags communicate with the controller directly. So, it is up to you what suits you application.
01-03-2014 11:07 PM
Top #14
Sheikh Muhammad
01-03-2014 11:07 PM
Price is the most important factor when it comes to control systems and HMI's. How much is the company / customer willing to invest and what kind of financial benefit they will get after they get the upgrade. Other factors also include the complexity of features that need to be displayed. Most HMI's are not very flexible and have limits at one point or the other. Limitations are good as they keep the price of the software less and implementation easy like Delta. Such HMI's are a good choice where the system being automated is a simple machine or a small process and where you are leading / deciding for the client. If the client is very choosy for his graphics or the process is relatively bigger and will need extensive features, then you have to go for a product like WinCC. I have worked with WinCC for almost 10 years. It can provide almost anything you want ...... but has a big price tag associated with it. I am sure other vendors like IFIX, Honeywell and Yokogawa also provide similar products. So the selection in my view is based on the above criteria.
Reply to Thread