Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Solar Energy » What packaging is used to ship PV panels to their installation location?
Topics: What packaging is used to ship PV panels to their installation location? on Solar Energy
Start by
Kelly Runyon
01-02-2014 01:13 AM

What packaging is used to ship PV panels to their installation location?

I need to plan for waste recycling and disposal at a construction site and want to know if the PV panels (about 6 MW worth, a mix of roof mounted and ground mounted) will be boxed in cardboard, crated in wood, delivered on returnable racks, or...? What's typical? WHat's the range of possibilities? Are there specs that require recyclable packaging for PV? Thanks -
01-02-2014 03:16 AM
Top #2
Rolf Nitsche
01-02-2014 03:16 AM
Kelly,
You need to check or even define the package with your PV panel supplier. For such a large project a return of e.g. wooden pallets or other specific packaging material to your supplier can make sense from a cost point for both sides. Some packaging like cardboard and wrapping foil should be recycled and because the material can be sorted directly during unpacking you might even get some money for this clean but used material.
Some companies use pallets and plastic stacking corners for their PV modules. Some costumers required not full stacked pallets because of available roof loads during mounting of the modules so a full pallet can be put on the roof for installation. The package depends on the type and size of modules. I have seen cardboard boxes for modules and also specific designed crates.
Returnable packaging still needs to be implemented like in the automotive industry. Often only small amounts of panels are shipped to a location, so a general returnable packaging is not used from a cost point.
01-02-2014 05:17 AM
Top #3
William Wei
01-02-2014 05:17 AM
Kelly,
I know a company which manufactures returnable packaging materials in a sizable production.
01-02-2014 08:08 AM
Top #4
Kelly Runyon
01-02-2014 08:08 AM
Rolf,
Many thanks for your insights. I will recommend that the procurement specs include a provision for returnable, reusable or recyclable packaging and some incentive (maybe a 2% "pricing allowance") for avoiding problem packaging like Styrofoam or hard-to-recycle plastics.
01-02-2014 10:53 AM
Top #5
Ricardo Costa
01-02-2014 10:53 AM
Dear Kelly,
What you must look for is both environmental and logistics costs saver. If you want more info about this you can contact me over my products line (modulpak). It's industrial property protected and much more than a prime packaging solution it's a cargo optimizer. With my line of products you can reduce the carbon footprint.
Reply to Thread