Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » What is best software to build a document called (DCS Logic Diagram)
Topics: What is best software to build a document called (DCS Logic Diagram) on General Discussion
Start by
Abdulla Habra
09-15-2013 02:17 PM

What is best software to build a document called (DCS Logic Diagram)

As per client request, he ask to for mention document, while the DCS is not our scope of work.
He want to apply logic on his DCS and he want me to guarantee it will work!.
I am looking for a software can make simulation, can be dynamic on printing, and also it is required to generate references between related sheets.
09-15-2013 05:03 PM
Top #2
Abdulla Habra
09-15-2013 05:03 PM
Here is sample (snapshot) of logic diagram:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzRSKkEkrzD_RDBBUjRtSXdOOFk/edit?usp=sharing
09-15-2013 07:24 PM
Top #3
SANTHIRAJ SATHANNA
09-15-2013 07:24 PM
You can do the following:

1.You can do paper simulation by yourself to check for the proper working
2.Go for Automation Studio software, which has simulation facility for checking
09-15-2013 09:46 PM
Top #4
Ian Campbell-Kelly
09-15-2013 09:46 PM
Hi Abdulla
You mean that your client wants you to test that his design works?
Obviously you know that his drawing is a Function Block Diagram (FBD) which will probably program directly into the chosen DCS.
I don't have direct experience of a DCS. However, if we were testing this using a PLC, we would program the PLC module and use simulation software to simulate the plant. Thus we would be able to simulate the operation of the whole plant, nut just the internal software. This gives a lot of confidence and you can test against a complete test specification. Can you get the processor modules of the RTU, its programming software and the DCS master station to achieve something similar?
I see that you build UF and RO systems. When we automated a couple of these some time ago, we sequenced the plant using a big state machine - about 30 to 40 states - rather than using combinational logic like FBD. (Although I know that a similar effect can be achieved with FBD). It was very successful; the membranes lasted much longer than the manufacturer expected, because we were able to achieve very gentle and repeatable startups and shutdowns which avoided pressure shocks and reverse pressure.
There's lots of plant simulation software around and the DCS manufacturer may have their own package ready for you to configure. You can even write your own inside the RTU - BUT make sure that you remove it all before connecting to the I/O modules and the plant!
09-16-2013 12:39 AM
Top #5
Francis Lovering
09-16-2013 12:39 AM
You can use ControlDraw to draw Logic Diagrams, and you can put the diagrams into run mode to test the logic. You can also use it to create and simulate State machines.
And a lot more besides.
www.controldraw.co.uk
09-16-2013 02:51 AM
Top #6
Abdulla Habra
09-16-2013 02:51 AM
Thank you Mr. Kelly,

Actually in this special project, all design with us, but the control will be done through DCS which is by client, we have to give him logic diagram and he will program his DCS using it.

I am interested with what you mention, actually my main aim is documentation, not simulation, but even so, regarding simulation, can you give more description about "big state machine - about 30 to 40 states"

Thank you Mr. Lovering,
I download the software and I will test it soon and feed you back.
09-16-2013 04:55 AM
Top #7
Abdulla Habra
09-16-2013 04:55 AM
Mr. Lovering,
Thank you for your post.
ControlDraw software is interested software, but not what I am looking for.
I go through samples attached, I thing it is great for P&ID drawings, but not for logic diagram.
Logic diagram is something look like ladder diagram.

Please correct me if I am wrong about ControlDraw.
Reply to Thread