Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Current Mode Control » Reply Thead

Your name:

Put the result (5 - 4) in      

Start by
Ray
09-09-2013 06:39 AM

Current Mode Control

Many years ago (too many!) I took on the problem of current-mode control modeling. In 1986, there were at least 6 different schools of thought on how current mode control should be modeled. Then, within those 6, there were three major ways of trying to analyze the system using approximate average models.

Dr. Fred Lee's model at Virginia Tech used one approach, and NASA publications followed this approach. Then, Middlebrook at Caltech came out with another way to look at the problem and of course, being Middlebrook, it was highly respected. Vince Bello, someone who did a lot of Spice modeling for the industry had another approach.

All three approaches had a different way of analyzing the gain of the current-mode modulator, and they all came out with different results. Very different.

All of these were smart people, and their mathematical derivations looked good. Who is going to find a mistake in Middlebrook's work?

I avoided the problem of trying to figure out where the mistakes might be by making measurements on the system to see who had it right. And, only one of them was right, not including Middlebrook or Lee, my advisor.

In the interests of discretion, I didn't pursue the issue further, I just went with reality from the measurement, so no one had to dwell on people making errors of any kind. I really thought that hardware confirmation of what was correct would be sufficient, and the topic would be closed.
Unfortunately not, and publications on current mode continued for many years, from high-ranking researchers who continued to get it wrong. A recent publication even tried to reconcile the differences into one model, making it look like they all had it right.

Finally, three years ago, I decided to go and revisit the topic again, and I found out where the fundamental assumptions led to errors. I have never published it, although I did present it one time at APEC. (I'll be presenting it again in Nuremberg next month.)

My plan is to put it into a book on current mode, set the record straight, and maybe kill off the topic once and for all. At the same time, I will update my dissertation, print it in color, and make it very accessible, I hope.

So the question is this: does anyone out there really care to have this history? Would it be a worthwhile endeavour?