Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Soft starter » Performance Curve for DC Motor
Topics: Performance Curve for DC Motor on Soft starter
Start by
Senthil Ram N D
10-22-2013 03:58 AM

Performance Curve for DC Motor

HI All,

I'm using Infolytica for DC motor analysis where in I model DC motor and I apply parameterization on the rotor and find torque for every degree of rotation. Now I need to plot the performance curve for the DC motor. Please throw me some light to plot the same.

Any reply is much appreciated
10-22-2013 06:18 AM
Top #2
Gilles Fillion
10-22-2013 06:18 AM
which performance curves do you want to plot?
10-22-2013 09:05 AM
Top #3
Ashish Deshpande
10-22-2013 09:05 AM
You can give try to Maxwell and RMxprt.
Post processing is simple and you can easily plot the desired graphs.
10-22-2013 11:09 AM
Top #4
Gilles Fillion
10-22-2013 11:09 AM
If you want an all-in-one analysis package for motors you should try MotorSolve, also from Iinfolytica. It provides analysis modes to get all performance curves without ever having to work with a finite element package.
10-22-2013 01:54 PM
Top #5
Gilles Fillion
10-22-2013 01:54 PM
It is possible to get the performance data such as Voltage and torque as a function of position from a static analysis. However, there are finite element transient with motion solvers that are much better adapted to your problem. These solvers report the voltage, current, torque waveforms as well as many other quantities. It is then a simple process to get the time-averaged values for these waveforms. The time-average results can be used very effectively to calculate things such as power factor, efficiency, losses, etc.

The other option is to use the parametrized model and to create a response model which variables, current and rotor position. The responses are then the flux-linkage, the torque and possibly some of the other output quantities available. This information can then be used withing a circuit to model the control circuitry, for example using Matlab Simulink, to obtain the waveforms and/or time-averaged quantities of interest.

As mentionned before a software like MotorSolve does all of this for you using a very simple user-interface.
10-22-2013 04:01 PM
Top #6
Senthil Ram N D
10-22-2013 04:01 PM
I Thank you Gilles Fillion, as suggested by you, MotorSolve does the function of plotting performance curve, however we ourself has got a package called VEMATS built by us when we were former Visteon. Here what I wished is to do the same thing with MagNet so that FEA result shall be comparable with MagNet result. For design purpose we use VEMATS and we carry out analysis using MagNet.

I have the set of data for voltage, torque current and Flux Linkage, but by then I need to compute speed and Power wherein I can plot the curve.

In addition to this, how can the data from MagNet be extracted either to text or excel file.
10-22-2013 06:13 PM
Top #7
Gilles Fillion
10-22-2013 06:13 PM
It is extremely easy to extract data from MagNet. Since you are using parametrization, I assume that you have multiple solutions for each model. In that case, you can create graphs of things like voltage, torque, current and flux-linkage simply by placing your text cursor in the result box containing the information you want to graph. Then selecting the graph button will produce a graph of the information you want, in this case it would be current, torque, etc vs problem ID. Now depending on the version of MagNet you are using, the export to text or Excel is simply a matter of either selecting the column or columns of data to the left of the graph, and using cut, (Ctrl-C), to copy the data to the clipboard and paste (Ctrl-V) to copy the from the clipboard to an open text editor or Excel spreadsheet, or whichever clipboard capable application you want. Since version 7.0, this process has been simplified and buttons exist in the graph window to perform this operation automatically with the click of a button.
10-22-2013 08:33 PM
Top #8
Gilles Fillion
10-22-2013 08:33 PM
I would just add a comment about MotorSolve. I understand that your situation is such that you have tools that you are comfortable with. For reference, I would like to mention that MotorSolve does all of the above within a single package. That is, it can be used to create the geometry, like VEMATS, the solution is obtained within MotorSolve without ever having to export the model to a finite element package, and the results are presented in MotorSolve. This is equivalent to creating many scripts to perform motor analysis without having to learn how to do it.

So even though you have a usable solution with VEMATS and MagNet, MotorSolve will use the power of MagNet solvers and the predefined analysis modes that will give you results in much less time than you could obtain with your current solution.
Reply to Thread