Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Half-Bridge Converter Design - Current Control » Reply Thead

Your name:

Put the result (6 + 4) in      

Start by
Fellipe
09-09-2013 05:23 AM

Half-Bridge Converter Design - Current Control

I am starting the design of a 750W power supply to charge a battery or ultracapacitor bank. In this application the power supply limits the current for a long time, than limits the voltage to finish the charge (this is a simple charge algorithm, known as CCCV, or constant current, constant voltage).
For the rectifier/PFC stage, we’re designing a 2-phase boost converter with TI UCC28063 controller. The PFC output is 380Vdc.
For the DC-DC stage we choose to use a half-bridge converter. This topology was chosen only because it is simple and fast to build and the cost is reasonable. But, as it well known, the voltages of the capacitor divider can get unbalanced when the half bridge operates in current control. I found an IC that promises to solve this problem, the LM5039 (Half Bridge controller with average current limit). Unfortunately, the drivers of the LM5039 are for 100V only. Still, I intend to use this controller with an external 600V driver.
I would like to ask the group if someone uses the LM5039 with current limiting with good results and if someone knows of a similar IC for higher voltage, so I can avoid using the external driver.
Some other comments on this project? Thanks in advance!