Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Power Supply » ICAPS simulator question » Reply Thead

Your name:

Put the result (1 + 1) in      

Start by
Jay
08-28-2013 10:16 PM

ICAPS simulator question

Now, I understand that the simulator does not make the engineer. But being able to use a simulator is definitely beneficial. My question is below, but first I need to give a little introduction:

I am an aspiring electrical engineer, and am not working in the power electronics/power supply field yet. In the mean time, I build things and try my best to keep current.

It seems like the majority of power electronics job descriptions require that you be well versed in SPICE simulators (PSPICE, ICAPS, etc). I have the demo versions of PSPICE and ICAPS, and have really been impressed with ICAPS.

Intusoft offers a Power Supply Designer package that includes ICAPS with a Magnetics Designer software which looks very interesting. I am thinking of buying the full Power Supply Designer package for my home PC (yes, my home PC) so that I can hopefully master the whole SPICE thing before any job interviews in the future, and use this software on the future job site (and off the job site if traveling or what not).

My question to you all in the field is this: is this overkill on my part? Is this a good investment, or am I crazy?