Electric Automation Forum
Forum » Inverter » Latest technology in MPPT trackers in the solar inverters
Topics: Latest technology in MPPT trackers in the solar inverters on Inverter
Start by
Jayashri Phalke
12-29-2013 09:10 AM

Latest technology in MPPT trackers in the solar inverters

Let me know the latest technology for MPPT tracker in the solar inverter............
12-29-2013 12:04 PM
Top #2
Lei Yuan
12-29-2013 12:04 PM
who can give some comments?
12-29-2013 02:15 PM
Top #3
Jayashri Phalke
12-29-2013 02:15 PM
Those who are working in the field of manufacturing of solar Inverter.
12-29-2013 04:18 PM
Top #4
Andreas ILIOU - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
12-29-2013 04:18 PM
MPPT placement

Traditional solar inverters perform MPPT for an entire array as a whole. In such systems the same current, dictated by the inverter, flows through all panels in the string. Because different panels have different IV curves and different MPPs (due to manufacturing tolerance, partial shading, etc.) this architecture means some panels will be performing below their MPP, resulting in the loss of energy.[1]
Some companies (see power optimizer) are now placing peak power point converters into individual panels, allowing each to operate at peak efficiency despite uneven shading, soiling or electrical mismatch.

that s to describe what the MPPT controler is doing normally
12-29-2013 06:20 PM
Top #5
12-29-2013 06:20 PM
Incremental conductance

In the incremental conductance method, the controller measures incremental changes in array current and voltage to predict the effect of a voltage change. This method requires more computation in the controller, but can track changing conditions more rapidly ......

The incremental conductance method computes the maximum power point by comparison of the incremental conductance (ΔI/ΔV) to the array conductance (I/V). When these two are the same (I/V=ΔI/ΔV), the output voltage is the MPP voltage. The controller maintains this voltage until the irradiation changes and the process is repeated.

Current Sweep Method
The current sweep method uses a sweep waveform for the PV array current such that the I-V characteristic of the PV array is obtained and updated at fixed time intervals. The maximum power point voltage can then be computed from the characteristic curve at the same intervals.....

that s the newest "gadget" especially when shaded or different temperatures exists it keeps "checking" local and global MPPT and "decides" according figures, what s better Voltage or current performance....

hope that helps/ if that s what you looking for.
12-29-2013 08:37 PM
Top #6
12-29-2013 08:37 PM
Review Article
Recent Developments in Maximum Power Point Tracking Technologies for Photovoltaic Systems

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijp/2010/245316/

Due to a partial shading on PV, panels can affect the normal operation of the MPPT. If the selected algorithm is too sensitive, virtually MPPT that occurred by shading may be tracked. As a result of this, significant power losses may arise.

that was last year the most problematic issue regards losses involved when MPPT tracker stays "in a smale scale range ".Sweeping function enables the inverter to see " in between the lines" but also problematic during sweep function energy "out of MPPT " will loose energy - if triggered to often "below15 min. " losses can be "dramatic"
12-29-2013 11:11 PM
Top #7
Joachim Nell
12-29-2013 11:11 PM
SolarEdge is offering power optimizers resulting in higher yield, less complex design, higher utilizaton of available roof area, module precise monitoring, easier maintenance, safer installations, ....
12-30-2013 02:01 AM
Top #8
Mau Pham
12-30-2013 02:01 AM
Andreas:

A fierce competitor to your above-mentioned methods is micro-inverter, where each solar panel is optimized independently. Its energy output is then inverted (to AC, with Ground isolation), then combined with the energy outputs of other micro-inverters (in AC)
12-30-2013 04:37 AM
Top #9
Joachim Nell
12-30-2013 04:37 AM
I do not see Micro inverters as a fierce competition :-)
What you need is to manage The Optimum MPP per Module and this is what a
power optimizer does. To do DC/AC conversion for each and every Module
(this is what a Micro inverter does) is far too much.
Imagine The effort when New Software Or Firmware needs to be Applied for
each inverter when Grid Code rules change. And we will see more and more
New Grid Regulations from The net providers....

Viele Gruesse/Best regards
Joachim Nell
Mobile +49-170-1627-838
Sent from i-phone

Am 04.01.2013 um 19:41 schrieb "Solar and Photovoltaic (PV) Professionals
12-30-2013 06:48 AM
Top #10
Mau Pham
12-30-2013 06:48 AM
Joachim:

The competition between micro-inverters and DC Optimizers is based mainly on economics and partly on reliability.

The advantage of micro-inverter is the output from each panel is transformer-coupled, then referred to the same Ground potential before adding to the output of other panels. On the other hand, in DC optimizing of a large number of modules which are connected serially, some circuitry might operate at a common mode voltage of thousands of volts above Ground potential.

But you're right on the complication of updating firmware on thousands of micro-inverters at a time.

So we'll witness a see-saw battle between micro-inverters and DC optimizers of the same magnitude as the see-saw battle between Microsoft anf Apple
12-30-2013 09:25 AM
Top #11
12-30-2013 09:25 AM
...well the competition is ongoing for 100kW systems I don t think micro inverters or
dc dc optimisers ( right now) can compete.
What I like regards micro inverters is that you can start small and carry on as you wish
( or your pocket money )

Central Grid inverter ( are out of the game right now) Multi String and String Inverter take the market by storm, for me ( but of course it is personal experience )they are unstoppable .

Anyhow it depends how experienced the Installer is , but right now a few % micros are less efficient, I hope this will change , maybe 2013 already.

The market and PV is moving I heard you can by AC modules already.....
( so already implemented )

I LIKE
Reply to Thread