Electric Automation Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Electrical Machine design Using MATLAB
Topics: Electrical Machine design Using MATLAB on General Discussion
Start by
Uchit Sharma
10-15-2013 09:53 PM

Electrical Machine design Using MATLAB

Hello everyone i want to make the design sheet of an induction machine as my final year project and i want to know if its a good idea to write the code in MATLAB??
To be specific ,the design details are specific to:
1, Type of machine(salient or non salient pole)
2.Specific magnetic loading(Bav) and specific electric loading(ac)
3.All details for stator as well as rotor design.
4.Evaluate No load current, short circuit current and efficiency.

I would like the suggestions which i can incorporate within this project.
Also most importantly if there has been such idea implemented or not?

Future perspective: It can be used as a matlab tool using GUI, just like there are for aerodynamics in matlab
10-16-2013 12:38 AM
Top #2
Robert Melaia
10-16-2013 12:38 AM
Hello Uchit.
There have been many implementations of this - mainly by the OEM's in their own in-house packages. There is some software available for certain types of machines as well, but not the combined list you have implied.
I suspect that your main problem will be limited accuracy of magnetic equivalent circuit methods (which I suspect you will be limited to) compared with what is available / achievable with FEA methods (which are used in many of the larger, better more complete systems.
May I suggest that you begin with one machine type (say Squirrel-cage Induction motor) and try that first; you may realise just how massive a task you have given yourself if you want to do all machine types!
As far as Matlab is concerned: It is an excellent numerical calculation tool, but you will need Matlab on any machine you want to use your design tool - and Matlab is not cheap!
Good luck.
Robert.
10-16-2013 03:22 AM
Top #3
Ovidiu Dabija
10-16-2013 03:22 AM
Matlab is good for anything, depends on how good you are in writing and understanding the equations; also a good design guide may prove itself useful. A better and cheaper choice for the design/dimensioning part may prove to be Mathcad (that's what we use in our department), after Mathcad, the validation and testing (or even optimization) can be made using either FEM software or mathematical modelling and simulation in Matlab-Simulink.
10-16-2013 06:15 AM
Top #4
François Baudart
10-16-2013 06:15 AM
Hi Uchit,

I implemented a design sheet for a SMPM motor in matlab for my PhD thesis (available at the bottom of this page : http://dial.academielouvain.be/handle/boreal:113931) and I can recommend you to use Matlab.

Depending on the complexity (<-> accuracy) or your model, you have different ways to use it.
* You can script all your analytical models in Matlab with a quite high enough accuracy, even considering recursive solving for saturation, without dealing with a high computational time.

* If needed for some highly computational parts, you can embed a C code in a matlab code (100 times faster).

* For a great accuracy/validation you can easily couple Matlab with FEM softwares such as Comsol Multiphysics.

Good luck !

F.
10-16-2013 09:00 AM
Top #5
Uchit Sharma
10-16-2013 09:00 AM
@Robert:Thank you for the help....I am actually writing the code for a squirrel cage IM and I think i dont have good hands on FEA till now.....:( some tutorial are required.
@ovidiu: I will surely download and learn more about mathcad. Thanks
@franscois: I will surely look upon your thesis and try to learn more about it.Thank you.

At present i have made a small program which evaluates the main dimensions i.e. Diameter(D) and length(L) by using some essential inputs. Starting to do design of stator and total air gap mmf of the machine.
10-16-2013 11:25 AM
Top #6
Robert Melaia
10-16-2013 11:25 AM
Hello Uchit.
My comments were based on the fact that you are a Final Year student, and in my experience - which may well be surpassed - any more than a Magnetic Equivalent Circuit based design procedure with simple input and output will be a very ambitious task. I feel adding FEA to it - for a Final Year project - will prevent you from producing a valuable and effective tool for your primary purposes; you can always make FEA and possibly even some Heat Transfer enhancements part of a Postgraduate extension. Have you asked your Lecturers / Professors about it?
Induction motors are also the right option to do a good challenging project at this level and with these time limitations (final year ends before you know it :-)).
Good luck! I'm sure we will all be interested in how it turns out.
Take care.
Robert.
10-16-2013 01:30 PM
Top #7
Robert Melaia
10-16-2013 01:30 PM
In my limited experience - Uchit - I like your approach regarding airgap MMF. I would also suggest your first 'iteration' is based on the standard Faraday Law EMF versus Flux, Frequency,winding factors etc. - with an assumption of no leakage flux. Then calculate tooth and core flux densities (allowing for parallel sided slots and teeth - hence for form-wound and random-wound machines. Together with magnetising current, and leakage reactances for various slip / frequency values - you should find this will get you 'swimming in the deep end' soon :-).
You would also be wise to include concentric and diamond-wound coils - for high and low voltage machines. Your final output should ideally contain Rated Power Factor, efficiency, starting current, and speed. Current Density for the various active parts, plus some other loading factors would be useful for temperature rise estimations. More than this - in my opinion - is far more than a Final Year project.
I hope this helps.
Robert.
10-16-2013 03:34 PM
Top #8
Prasad D
10-16-2013 03:34 PM
I have developed the similar kind of CODE using MATLAB for 3 phase induction machines. You can reach me on devaraprasad@gmail.com for any other details.
10-16-2013 06:06 PM
Top #9
Uchit Sharma
10-16-2013 06:06 PM
uchitsharma92@gmail.com i have mailed you please check your inbox..
10-16-2013 08:26 PM
Top #10
sivasubramanian narayanasami
10-16-2013 08:26 PM
Please establish routines for specific type machine and rating. in my experience developing the matlab code is easy and interesting.please refer nasar books for reference. many codes are already available. But you can use scilab instead of matlab. The open source software has many useful library and free.
Reply to Thread